Memory Regulation under Emotional Stress
Mechanisms of Memory Regulation and Correction of its Disorders during Chronic Emotional Stress
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-EHS/Environmental Health and Safety/Environment
3 Approved without Funding
Ministry of Education and Science of Georgia / Beritashvili Institute of Physiology, Georgia, Tbilisi
- Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Institute of Biomaterials and Bioengineering, Japan, Tokyo\nRollins College, USA, FL, Winter Park\nToyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Japan, Toyama
Project summaryThe goal of the Project is a multidisciplinary and multiparameter study of the mechanisms of memory regulation and correction of its disorders during chronic emotional stress.
Correction of memory disorders evoked by chronic emotional stress applies to the most important social-economic problems of modern society. Increasing numbers of psychic stressogenic factors as well as their intensifying pathogenic effect on higher functions of the brain (including on memory) and on other systems of the organism of all age groups of the population elevate memory disorders to this high position.
There are a lot of data on negative effect of chronic emotional stress on the memory. At the same time, the problem of memory regulation during emotional stress has been little studied. Correction of memory disorders under conditions of stress has also been little studied.
Solution of the problems given in the Project will essentially influence the progress of knowledge in this field and open new possibilities of memory disorders correction.
Competence of participants engaged in the Project corresponds to the demands of ISTC. Highly qualified experts having a great experience of investigation of memory functions and mechanisms of the regulation of emotion and stress will participate in this Project, as well as experts earlier have worked on the military problems and having a great experience in the fields, close to the problems given in the Project.
In result of contemplated investigation, new data on the mechanisms of memory regulation under conditions of emotional stress are expected to be obtained, as well as pharmacological drugs for the correction of memory disorders will be determined.
This Project promotes integration of scientists from CIS into International Scientific Association, completely corresponding to the goals of ISTC.
The following specific problems during the stress are supposed to be solved:
– modeling of emotional stress on albino laboratory Wistar rats;
– study of long- and short-term memory;
– participation of brain limbic structures in the regulation of memory;
– investigation of neuroreceptor density in limbic structures at molecular level and of the amount of corticosteroids in blood;
– investigation of qualitative and quantitative distribution of biogenic amines in limbic structures;
– investigation of NO amount and its complexes in the brain, as well as of the state of pro- and antioxidant systems and the amount of free oxygen in blood, what with regard for the results of behavioral, chronobiological and neurophysiological investigations will be a basis of the choice of optimal way of pharmacological correction of memory disorders during emotional stress.
Problems given in the Project should be solved by means of modeling long- and short-term memory disorders in animals using methods of conditioned reflexes and delayed reactions under conditions of chronic emotional stress evoked by the necessity of differentiation of active escape reaction. Participation of limbic structures in the mechanisms of memory regulation will be studied by a method of electrical self-stimulation. The following methods for molecular investigations will be used: potentiometry, polarography, chromatography, plasmic atomic absorption, spectrometry and EPR-spectrometry.
The role of collaborators will consist in the exchange of information on the fulfillment of the Project, in assignment of commentaries to technical reports (quarterly, annual, total) as well as other assistance and collaboration.
Assistance in the participation in International meetings.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.