Information Support for Storage Decommission
Decision - Making Information Support of Territory Remediation in the Course of Decommissioning Temporary Radioactive Waste Storage Sites in the Northwestern Region of Russia. Elaboration of an Environmental Monitoring System for Enterprises Involved in T
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-RED/Remediation and Decontamination/Environment
3 Approved without Funding
Khlopin Radium Institute, Russia, St Petersburg
- Leningrad Specialized Kombinat Radon, Russia, Leningrad reg., Sosnovy Bor
Project summaryThe environmental bureaucratic control in the regions of treating and storing of low- and intermediate radioactive wastes enterprises is oriented exclusively onto revealing of high levels of radioactive contamination. In domestic practice there are no systems of radioactive and chemical environment emergency contamination in such regions, though systems of automatic control of exposition dose-rate are in the process of creating. Ecological assessment of both radiological and chemical factors' affects on environmental condition, as a whole, doesn't perform. This fact is connected with absence of conception which integrate the complex of objectives and problems of ecological monitoring, and also with inadequate level of methodological, program and technical assurance, insufficient reliability and ineffectiveness of data transmission, processing and analysis, and as a result, with "absence" of such information consumer.
According to results of radioecological state analysis 1990, 1997aa the concentrations of 3H, 90Sr, 137Cs, 238,239,240Pu in ground waters on the territory of Leningrad Specialized Enterprise "Radon" exceed or nearby Permissible Levels for population. The radioactive and chemical pollutants migrate to hydrogeological system and aquiferous horizons. LSK "Radon" is situated in thickly populated basin of Baltic Sea, nearby Saint Petersburg and Baltic countries.
The basis for Project Proposal are:
- the necessity of decision making based on environmental risk assessment in the process of temporary radioactive waste storages decommissioning
- the necessity to have the contemporary system for the control of radioactive and chemical substances inflow and migration in natural environment.
- the objective of the Project Proposal is the elaboration of principles and evolution of environmental monitoring organization structure as the starting point for decision making in the course of operation and decommissioning of temporary radioactive waste storages.
The priority will be given to ecological approach of environmental monitoring system organization for prediction of undesirable consequences to environment. The requirements and parameters for emergency system of radioactive and chemical substances in environment will be elaborated; the objectives and problems, methodological, program and technical specification for decision making in operation and decommissioning of LSK "Radon" will be combined; the critical ecological zones, where it is necessary to fulfil the complex of coordinated observations for dynamic of parameters which define the exposure of human being and ecosystems will be proved.
Firstly in domestic practice for the emplacement of temporary nearsurface radwaste storages:
- the practical recommendations for environmental management decision making under operation and decommissioning of nearsurface radwaste storage will be elaborated on the base of monitoring data fact;
- environmental monitoring organization principles as the basis for decision making under operation and decommissioning of temporary radwaste storages will be elaborated;
- the necessity of territory rehabilitation under decommissioning of temporary radwaste storage will be estimated;
- the priorities of natural environment quality conservation under rehabilitation actions will be defined;
- radioactive substances and chemicals dispersion mathematical models in ground-level air and subsurface water flow will be adopted to regional conditions;
- the boundaries of supervision zone will be valid;
- the structure of ecological monitoring data base according to international requirements and formats will be elaborated;
- the recommendation to authorities on monitoring organization for negative ecological consequences prediction will be developed.
Technological approach and methodology
Technological approach and methodology are based on V.G.Khlopin Radium Institute experience. In Russia it is the top-level organization in the sphere of complex investigation of radiation and chemical effect onto environment, and in the sphere of creation of ecological and radiological monitoring system. It will be taken into account the own experience of Regional Environmental Monitoring Laboratory in Sosnovy Bor with regard to recent national and international concepts and recommendations and on the territories contaminated as the result of Chernobyl catastrophe.
Possible participation and interests of foreign collaborators:
The Project Proposal complements with international environmental programs. In particular, Nuclear Regulatory Commission of USA and the specialists from Sandia National Laboratories - Environmental Risk and Decision Analysis Department have shown concrete interest in receiving of such kind information.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.