Locust Mass Breeding Areas Mapping
Remote Sensing Technology Development for a Locust Mass Breeding Areas Mapping in Order to Secure Ecologically Safety Measures of Agricultural Fields Protection
Tech Area / Field
- AGR-PPR/Plant Protection/Agriculture
- SAT-MAS/Manned Space Station/Space, Aircraft and Surface Transportation
- SAT-UNM/Unmanned Spacecraft/Space, Aircraft and Surface Transportation
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Weaver L M
Research and Production Center for Environmental Monitoring "RACEM", Russia, Kirov reg., Kirov
- Russian Academy of Sciences / Center for Ecological Safety, Russia, St Petersburg
- University of Wyoming, USA, WY, Laramie
Project summaryLocusts belong to the group of disaster insects, which have possibility to breed at giant territories. That is why the problem of locusts population decrease is quite important. The protection of agricultural fields against locusts is especially difficult for regions, characterized by the complex landscape structure, as well as high anthropogenic pressure.
During the last period, the protection of agriculture against locusts becomes weaker in Russia because of the negative economical situation. As the result, the mass locusts’ breeding was observed in some regions of Russia. For example: in the Omsk, the Tomsk, and the Novosibirsk Districts (South of the West Siberia). As the result, there is the extraordinary necessity to apply on agricultural fields the ecologically perilous toxically chemicals. This fact derives the high actuality of the quickest development of the effective and inexpensive technology for locust grounds monitoring, as well as ecologically safety methods of agriculture protection against locusts.
The project target: to rise an effectiveness of a strategy & system of the locusts population management in the presence of ecologically safety level of protective measures.
The project envisages:
- the replacement of hard and expensive ground level field observations by the remote sensing (RS) technology of detecting, mapping, and monitoring territories inhabited by locusts;
- the analysis of time series variations of remotely measured geophysical characteristics of earth's surface, which are derive the locusts population and the development of mathematical model and method for prediction of potential grounds of locusts breeding and routs of the locusts migration;
- the choice of approaches and methods for ecologically safety protection measures against locusts;
- the revealing of permanent and temporary grounds of locust mass breeding.
International and Russian experiences, exhibited that a lot of different unites of RS technology for monitoring of grounds of locusts breeding and routs of locusts migration are under developing now, as well as protection methods, directed on the decreasing of negative ecological consequences of such natural events. But systematically and completely the total complex of problems is not solved, yet.
The major objectives of the project are:
- to develop the technology of mapping of potential grounds of locust mass breeding by using modern measuring RS methods;
- to develop the method for a forecasting routs of locusts migration;
- to select the most effective approaches and methods for the development ecologically safety technology of agriculture protection against locusts.
The major methods: measuring RS methods, biological methods of field observations and measurements of locusts grounds and representative characteristics of locusts distribution, irradiative and spectral characteristics of landscapes, multidimensional statistical analysis of a complex (RS and ground level) information, mathematical simulations, laboratory biological experiments.
Amount of works:
- field works at the test site in Omsk District (The south of the West Siberia) will be carried out at 30-40 basic and 30 control key areas;
- detailed investigations of ecological - faunistic characteristics of harmful locust complexes inside key areas by the standard entomology methods;
- RS data digital processing:
- the preparation for different dates 6-8 sets of digital maps (scale 1:500000) of earth landscape geophysical characteristics on the bases of MODIS spectroradiometer Terra satellite (so called - multidimensional space of indications) for the test site in Omsk District.
- the analysis of space-time variations of geophysical characteristics of landscape during the season of locusts mass breeding and their migration.
- the multidimensional regressive links revealing between remotely sensed geophysical characteristics of landscape and locusts ground parameters and the compilation of RS statistical models of locusts grounds.
- the preparation sets of digital maps (the scale 1:200000) of earth landscape geophysical characteristics for key areas by using ASTER (Terra satellite) or Landsat ETM+ as the base of ground level field investigations and complex quantitative analyses of satellite and field observations.
Biological laboratory investigations:
- entomological account of objects (for the species composition).
1. The systematization of biotic, abiotic, and anthropogenic factors, determining the dynamic of locusts population.
2. The technology, based on the modern digital satellite RS data and ground level field observations at key areas and adapted to the southern region of the West Siberia, premeditated for a detection, for a monitoring, and for a forecasting of locusts mass breeding grounds and routs of locusts migration.
3. Recommendations for the development of an ecologically safety technology, premeditated for the agricultural fields protection against locusts affection.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.