Neutron Therapy with Local Hypothermy
The Research of Effectiveness of Composed Remote Neutron Therapy and Local Hypothermy for Curing Radio-resistant Tumors.
Tech Area / Field
3 Approved without Funding
VNIITF, Russia, Chelyabinsk reg., Snezhinsk
- Ural Research Center of Radiation Medicine, Russia, Chelyabinsk reg., Chelyabinsk\nChelyabinsk Regional Oncology Center, Russia, Chelyabinsk reg., Mednogorsk\nScientific Research Institute of Measuring Instrument - High Frequency Complex, Russia, Chelyabinsk reg., Chelyabinsk
Project summaryThe main goal of the project is to research whether the combined use of remote neutron therapy and local hyperthermia can provide a more effective method of curing radio-resistant tumors than existing ones. Nowadays, according to the publications, based upon the medical experience accumulated during many years in Tomsk, Obninsk, Syethle, the coercion of collimated beams of high energy neutrons on cancer tumor is one of the most effective means of curing this diseases. The same can be said about the local hypertermia. But when using these methods separately the reguired coercion on the seek organism must be relatively high (local neutron dose up to 60 Gr and local overheat up to 45 °C), this causes many undesirable side effects.
At the same time it is known that combinations of different kinds of coercion give the synergetic effect (the united treatment by different methods is more effective than the separate use each of them). So it can allow to decrease the required strength of influence on tumor and also on the patient. Thus mentioned combinations can probably improve the effectiveness of therapy.
The research of this effect is to form the main contents of the project. For this goals it is expected to make use of:
- the 14 MeV neutron generator with the yield nearly of 2 ґ 1012 n/c, which is placed in RFNC-ITP and the proper means of measurements, the main equipment for tritium target construction;
- the methods of local overheat of biological model or a human, designed in CJSC SRIMI-HFC;
- the scientific and laboratory means of the URCRM and its experience in works with biological models of human (the animals);
- the scientific and practical experience of the CROC in the treatment of onco-patients with the use of radiation technologies. The phenomena being studied in placed on the cross of different scientific disciplines such as physics, biology, radiology and computer imitation.
The probable role of forcing collaborators: the joint discussion of methods and results of the researches, the exchange of scientific information.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.