Polymer Gradient Elements
Creation and Investigation of Polymer Materials with the Given Gradient of the Optical Properties
Tech Area / Field
- CHE-POL/Polymer Chemistry/Chemistry
3 Approved without Funding
Institute of Cybernetics, Georgia, Tbilisi
- Bolton Institute, UK, Bolton\nPremier Polymers & Processing Consultants, Inc., USA, OH, Bay Village\nUniversity of Alacant / Analytical Chemistry Department, Spain, Alacant\nCrompton Corporation / New Technology Development, USA, CT, Middlebury\nPolytechnic University / Polymer Research Institute, USA, NY, Brooklyn
Project summaryThe main objectives of the project are: elaboration of principally new laboratory technology of production of GB-elements with the given axial (may be radial) gradient of birefringence and modernized laboratory technology of production of polymeric GRIN-elements with the given axial/radial refraction index; development and manufacturing of new installations for creation and investigation of GB-elements; determination of applications of principally new optical elements - GB-elements with the given axial/radial gradient of birefringence.
Novelties of the works conducted on the project are: а) development of modernized laboratory technology of production of GRIN elements (with elliptical, flat and spherical surfaces) with given axial/radial gradient of refraction index by the usage of liquid monomers mutual diffusion adjustable method with equal density; construction and manufacturing equipments and reactors (from various forms, sizes, thickness, from materials with various adhesive properties) for production of GRIN-elements with the given axial/radial gradient of refraction index; b) expansion of polymer types for gradient optics; c) development of new laboratory technology of production of GB-elements with the given axial (may be radial) gradient of birefringence, allowing to vary over a wide mode range of manufacturing (speed of deformation, degree of orientation, stretch temperature and environment); d) construction and manufacturing for creation of mechanical field with given in-homogeneity; e) Opportunity research of polymeric medium creation with the gradient of optical properties (distribution of refraction index gradient, gradient of birefringence) by means of non-traditional in gradient optics physical factors (in-homogenous electric and a magnetic fields, Laser Irradiation, Ultrasonic influence).
The offer under the project concerns mainly to the category "Applied researches", however on character and contents the project covers some questions, concerning to "Fundamental researches": a) research of formation regularity of the given gradient of refraction index and gradient of birefringence; b) research of parameters influence of the technological mode (temperature, time, inter-diffusion speed), and also chemical nature of used monomer pairs, adhesion properties of reactor surface, the size and forms of optical elements on optical-physical properties of GRIN-elements; c) research of polymeric environments creation opportunity with gradient of optical properties (distribution of refraction index gradient, gradient of birefringence) by means of non-conventional in gradient optics, in-homogenous physical factors; d) research of gradient deformations, as new kind of polymeric bodies deformation). The offer under the project also concerns to "Development" (development and construction of devices for creation of mechanical field with given in-homogeneity; development of new laboratory technology of production of GB-elements with the given axial gradient of birefringence and modernized laboratory technology of production of GRIN-elements with the given axial/radial gradient of refraction index.
To achieve the objectives of the project the following tasks should be successfully completed:
- Development of the modernized laboratory technology of production of GRIN elements with given axial/radial gradient of refraction index; fabrication: а) flat lenses with diameter 20-50 mm, thickness 5-10 mm and Dn≥0,1; b) spherical lenses (focusing/dissipating) with in-homogeneous gradient layer for correcting geometrical aberrations with diameter ≤100 mm, with thickness ≤20 mm; c) cylindrical selfocs with diameter 5-20 mm and height 30-50 mm, Dn≥0,1; d) axial gradient elements with length 5-50 mm, width 50 mm, thickness 5ч10 mm; and Dn≥0,1.
- Construction and manufacturing of the equipments and reactors (from various forms, sizes, thickness, from materials with various adhesive properties) for production of GRIN elements with given axial / radial gradient of refraction index;
- Development of the essentially new laboratory technologies of production of GB-elements with given axial (may be radial) gradient of birefringence, allowing to vary in a wide range of their manufacturing regime (kind, speeds and distributions of deformation; temperatures, environment, chemical structure of polymer);
- Investigation of gradient deformations, as a new kind of polymeric materials deformation (gradient deformations features influence on orientation properties of polymers; research of deformation distribution’ topography in polymeric samples in conditions of gradient loading;
- Manufacturing of laboratory samples axial (may be radial) GB elements and determination of their optical-physical parameters (influence of birefringence gradient distribution character (Dn), definition Dn/Dх; Dn-limits of birefringence change, Dх-limits of GB-element coordinates change;
- Determination of: а) Physical-mechanical parameters (Modules of stretching and compression, impact strength, factor of rigidity, softening temperature); b) electro-physical parameters (dielectric constant, specific electric resistance, electrical durability; c) studying of thermal mechanical properties of created gradient elements;
- Investigation of: а) processes of generation-recombination of the paramagnetic centers (for example formation of free radicals in polymeric weight in process of an irradiation and deformation of researched material); b) oxidation and thermo-oxidation processes in researched polymeric optical materials (POM) and influence of these processes on some properties of POМ;
- Creation of in-homogeneous gradient layers on a surface of spherical lenses with the aim of geometrical abbreviation corrections; determination of correlation adjustment abbreviation opportunities in ready optical focusing elements;
- Establishment of opportunities of new using spheres of GRIN-elements with the given axial /radial gradient of refraction index, and also possible spheres of GB-elements application: а) in quality polarizing equalizers; b) polar meter of various purpose; c) in quasi integral-optical systems for transformations of light beams;
- Researches of various physical factors influence (scale-radiation, ultraviolet irradiation, infra-red-Laser-thermal influence) on optical-physical properties of gradient element samples.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.