Safe usage of energetic materials
Development of Oil Recovery Increase Technology for Low-Yield and Abandoned Oil Wells on the Base of Environmental Safe Usage of Energetic Materials
Tech Area / Field
- NNE-FUE/Fuels/Non-Nuclear Energy
- OBS-NAT/Natural Resources and Earth Sciences/Other Basic Sciences
3 Approved without Funding
Russian Academy of Sciences / Ufa Scientific Centre / Mechanics Institute, Russia, Bashkiria, Ufa
- Corporation "NPP Stimul", Russia, Moscow reg., Ramenskoye\nMakeyev Design Bureau of State Rocket Center, Russia, Chelyabinsk reg., Miass\nMendeleev Chemical Technological University, Russia, Moscow\nNedraservice-M Ltd., Russia, Moscow\nIndependent Non-Commercial Organization "Aspect-Conversia", Russia, Moscow
- Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya / Departament d'Enginyeria Quimica, Spain, Barcelona\nOak Ridge National Laboratory, USA, TN, Oak Ridge\nRensselaer Polytechnic Institute, USA, NY, Troy
Project summaryThe problem of solid propellant utilization is one of the most important problems arisen in Russia, the USA and countries of Europe and Asia. Their utilization methods proposed by the moment (combustion, break-down) have some disadvantages, among them serious ecological consequences because of environmental contamination (solid propellant charge combustion), high cost of utilization (solid propellant charge break-down with constituents extraction) taking place.
This project proposes to utilize the special prepared solid propellant by its combustion in low-yield and unused oil wells. In this case the significant increase of wells recovery takes place. Significant economic benefit under total environmental safe conditions can be achieved using the method involved.
Oil prospecting in Russia shows that they are mainly belong to oil fields of complicated composition with low permeable reservoir beds. Present technology of oil well operation does not provide natural permeability conservation in bottomhole formation zone that case the further oil recovery deterioration. Due to that fact the number of unused and low yield oil and marginal wells are constantly increasing. The available data show that from oil fields it is yield not more than half of reserves presenting in them, and all over the world this index is about 30 per cents.
Therefore it is necessary to develop new scientifically based technologies for increase of marginal and unused wells productivity as well as oil extraction ratio from oil pools.
The aim of the project is development of solid propellant utilization technology for economically sound and environmental safe well completion of unused and marginal wells. Its characteristic feature is combination in united technological chain of such processes as: preliminary cutting of solid propellant charges, preparation of propellant composite, preparation of explosive elements, subsequent combustion of charges cascade inside the oil well and its flushing. For this aim fulfillment the following problems are to be solved:
1. Selection of solid propellants type having the most suitable characteristics for effective operations on oil wells activation and development of model propellant technology simulating solid propellant properties.
2. Development of production flow chart of solid propellants cutting and granules preparation.
3. Experimental and analytical investigations of composites burning rates on the base of solid propellant in various media and searching of composition optimal for utilization in oil wells.
4. Theoretical development of forecasting model for impulse-wave and thermal-gas-chemical impact of charges combustion products in a well on oil-bearing bed zone near well.
5. Experimental designing works on development of solid propellant gas generation devices for carrying out different technological tasks on oil wells stimulation.
6. Development of techniques and technological schedules, requirements for thermal-gas-chemical and impulse-wave treatment of wells by combustion of charges from utilized solid propellant composites..
7. Environmental and economic estimation of implementation of proposed solid propellant utilization technology.
8. Industrial testing of stimulation methods for low-yield, marginal and abandoned oil wells from existing old fund.
Six organizations are participating in the project. All participants have enough experience in the field involved.
Expected results and their application.
The project involved can be referred to the four investigation fields: fundamental, applied investigations, technologies development and demonstration. But the main part of the project deals with applied investigations.
The main output of this project is developed industrial technology of environment safe utilization of solid propellants by their application in petroleum oil production. The technology to be developed should: 1) solve the problem of solid propellants utilization; 2) be safe; 3) be reliable; 4) not harmful for environment and not to impact on environment; 5) solve the problems of employment in traditional petroleum oil producing regions of Russia; 6) be economically profitable.
Following results are to be obtained during carrying out the project.
1. Selection of solid propellants type to be utilized.
2. Developing of compounding formulation and preparing of simulating patterns for solid propellants.
3. Development of theoretical base for hydro cutting of solid propellant charges.
4. Development of technique and designing documentation on facilities equipment for solid propellant charges cutting.
5. Preparation of test specimens and their testing.
6. Mathematical model development for solid propellant combustion under non-steady state conditions and determination of combustion process stable conditions and intermittent burning conditions.
7. Definition of combustible mixture composition on the base of solid propellant granules and selection of binding oxidizers and production admixtures.
8. Determination of combustible mixture burning law in the wide range of pressures, investigations of burning rates control methods by admixtures adding and examination of combustible mixture operating time.
9. Development of theoretical fundamentals for acoustic sounding of drilled and bottom parts of a well. Recommendations are to be prepared for apparatus design.
10. Mathematical models development for combustion products penetration from well shaft into the bottom zone and for fluid filtration during well flushing out; for pressure and temperature wave propagation in saturated porous mediums during solid propellant composition utilization. Definition of regularities in rheologic properties of carbon-containing substances filling in the bottom zone of a well under effect of intensive dynamic fields, temperature and pressure.
11. Development of design and construction of gas generation device for solid propellant charges assembling and descanting into a well, development of designing documentation on preparation of test specimens of solid propellant charges, igniting unit and the whole apparatus, carrying out specimens tests in a thermal vacuum chamber and in well.
12. According to the test results obtained, computer technique and model will be developed for calculations propellant charges mass necessary for gas dynamic ore bed burst dependant on well characteristics.
13. Development of gas dynamic ore bed burst technology.
14. Development of technique and technological schedules for combustion of charges from solid propellant compositions in a well.
15. Development of well flushing out procedure (technique).
16. Execution of industrial production pilot testing of proposed techniques and their corrections in accordance with testing results.
17. At the stage of environmental and economic estimation of proposed solid propellant utilization technology (task № 7) the main economic factors of proposed technology will be determined and environmental estimate of proposed solid propellant utilization technology will be carried on. Calculation of environmental, industrial and social risks connected with realization of proposed technology for solid propellant utilization are also to be carried out.
18. At the stage of industrial testing of putting into operation of low yield and abandoned oil wells on the base of solid propellant utilization (task № 8) technological schedules of industrial testing is to be developed and industrial tests are to be carried out.
Putting into operation the technology of solid propellant utilization which is proposed in this application will allow to develop environmental safe and economic profitable utilization technology that is very important for Russia.
The main economic efficiency of solid propellant utilization technology proposed in this application will be obtained due to additional oil yield produced from in low yield, marginal, unused and abandoned wells.
Objectives and tasks realization ISTC.
Since this application deals with the topic of solid propellant utilization the fulfilment of the project will be carried on by a number of "weapon" scientists and research workers groups from participating in the project organizations, this application directly corresponds to the main ISTC purpose to include "weapon” scientists, research workers and specialists into peaceful projects and programs. In addition to this, the project involved will allow Russian specialists to co-operate with foreign colleagues and, thus, to include Russian scientists into international society of "weapon" researchers and scientists, which is also one of the ISTC purposes. These contacts will be, in particular, executed through project participants from Spain and the USA.
The project execution includes both scientific research and testing designing works in all technological chain links of solid propellant utilization for the increase of oil yield from wells. All the project activities are pided into 8 parts according to the number of above mentioned tasks.
There is the following distribution of tasks among participants. Task № 1 and task № 2 will be carried on by SRC "Academician V.P. Makeyev DB" and Institute of Mechanics of Ufa Scientific Center of Russian Academy of Science. Task № 3 is to be fulfilled by MUCTR only, and task № 4 jointly by MUCTR and Institute of Mechanics of Ufa Scientific Center of Russian Academy of Science. Carrying out of the fifth task should be done by LLC "Nedraservice-M" and "RPE Stimul", and the sixth – jointly with MUCTR. ANO "Center for Conversion Cooperation "Aspect-Conversion" and MUCTR will execute the task № 7. The final task № 8 to be carried on by LLC "Nedraservice-M" and MUCTR.
The role of foreign collaborators.
There are 3 foreign collaborators in the project, among them there are specialists in the fields of environmental protection, solid propellants, solid propellants utilization. Their role in the project will be the following:
- environmental estimate and examination of the whole project and its stages;
- consultations and expert evaluation of technology proposed;
- the help in contacts with foreign persons, parties and institutions interested in the project
Technical approach and techniques.
Each project task has its own approach and technique. Among them are following: - technique of model (pattern) solid propellant development; - method of solid propellant cutting and apparatus for its operating; - methods of pulsating conditions creation for propellant compositions burning; - mathematical model of porous medium of well bottom and fluid flow in it; - construction of gas generation device and technique of gas dynamic impact on oil-bearing bed; - technique and procedures of thermal-gas-chemical and impulsive-wave treatment of wells; - environmental examination and economic evaluation of proposed solid propellant utilization technology; - technique and procedures of industrial testing for oil well putting into operation with the help of burning of compositions on the base of solid propellants.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.