Automated Ultrasound Hyperthermia Complex
Development of Automated Ultrasound Hyperthermia Complex for Oncologic Disease Treatment, Code "Piezo-Thermo-Ultrasound"
Tech Area / Field
- MED-DID/Diagnostics & Devices/Medicine
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Stephen E L
Rostov State University / Scientific Design and Technological Department "Piezopribor", Russia, Rostov reg., Rostov-on-Don
- Research Institute of Precise Engineering, Russia, Moscow\nState unitary enterprise "Hydrometallurgical factory", Russia, Stavropol reg., Lermontov\nGNC Academician N.N. Andreev Acoustic Institute, Russia, Moscow\nScientific Research Oncologic Institute, Russia, Rostov reg., Rostov-on-Don
- University of Texas, USA, TX, Houston\nKaiser Permanent Medical Center, USA, CA, San Diego
Project summaryThe main- object of the project is the creation of a high-effective medical complex for the ultrasonic hyperthermia (controllable heating by means of ultrasonic radiation] of malignant tumours and as a result the achievement of a significant medical effect in combination with the radiotherapy and chemical therapy. With this, the complex will have a number of essential advantages in comparison with the available apparatus of Microwave [SHF] and Ultra-high [UHF] hyperthermia.
Methodologically the work will be carried out in the following way:
- creation of a number of specialized checkerworks, that is radiating ultrasonic phased arrays, combining the system of visualization as well as the thermometry system, if possible. The consecutive fulfillment of all these functions will be provided by the system of switching, controlled by the computer;
- parameters and characteristics of antenna arrays are calculated by the methods of phase synthesis, including the methods for phase scanning modes as well;
- the multichannel phased system of radiating antenna array excitation will work Loth in radiopulse, and continuous [sine wave] radiation modes;
- structurally the checkerworks, that is the phased arrays will be created in the form of special monolithic constructions on the basis of the experience, available in SDTD "Piezopribor" in creation of similar designs;
- the thermometry system is being formed on the basis of developments, conducted in the Acoustic Institute of RF Academy of Sciences;
- three-dimensional visualization system is being formed on the basis of development, carried out in the Research Institute of precise devices.
As a result of the project fulfillment:
- operative mock-up of the medical automated complex for the malignant tumour hyperthermia should be developed;
- laboratory and clinical tests of the complex should be conducted and on their basis the medical specifications should be stated and certification of the complex should be prepared;
- the offers to the complex prototype output and the development of the design documentation for the organization of a small-lot output of the equipment within the limits of possible continuation of work should be prepared.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.