Adaptogenic Properties of Glycosides
Study of Adaptogenic Properties of Steroid and Triterpenoid Glycosides of Plant Origin for the Purpose of their Application in Forestry and Agriculture
Tech Area / Field
- BIO-IND/Industrial Biotechnology/Biotechnology
- AGR-PPR/Plant Protection/Agriculture
3 Approved without Funding
Durmishidze Institute of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Georgia, Tbilisi
- Tohoku University / Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Japan, Sendai\nUniversity of Texas at Austin / School of Biological Sciences/Section of Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology, USA, TX, Austin\nNorwegian Forest Research Institute, Norway, As\nIstituto di Chimica Biomolecolare/Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (ICB-CNR), Italy, Napoli\nRoyal Holloway University of London / School of Biological Sciences, UK, Egham\nInstitut de Recerca i Tecnologia Agroallmentarles, Spain, Barcelona\nJohn Innes Centre, UK, Norwich\nHeinrich Heine Universität Düsseldorf / Institute für Pharmazeutische Biologie, Germany, Düsseldorf
Project summaryMain objective of the project is working out of biotechnology of isolation of ecologically harmless bioregulators from plant materials and their application against forest and agricultural plants parasites.
The second objective of the project is working out and creation of new natural preparations capable to improve quality and growth power of forest seeds and strengthen seedlings during forest artificial revival.
Actual significance of the project raised from the global application of chemicals in forestry and agriculture of Georgia resulted in environment pollution and negative ecological consequences (defection of biocenose natural structure, decreasing of their autoregulation possibility, increasing of residual pesticides in soil, adaptation of pests to the used chemicals etc.) Environment pollution, climatic conditions, low quality of food products cause arterioscleroses, cancer, allergy and many other diseases characterized with increasing epidemiological parameters nowadays in Georgia.
Nowadays the level of working out programs capable resolve ecological problems caused by using various chemicals and microbiological preparations against parasites in agriculture and forestry leaves desire to be higher. The policy removing contaminants from environment is very slow and has to be combined with strategy of plant biotechnology, which immediately resolves problems, first of all human health. Biotechnology is nowadays changing the agricultural and plant scene in three major areas:
– growth and development control (vegetative, generative and reproduction/propagatrion);
– protecting plants against the ever-increasing threats of abiotic and biotic stress;
– expanding the horizons by producing specialty foods, biochemicals and pharmaceuticals.
A new point of the suggested project is a complex approach to resolve this issue. Based on biotechnology the compositions of various combined preparations of plant origin with different properties useful in agriculture and forestry will be worked out. Low toxicity for environment, high bio-activity and proper economics determine an efficiency of new preparations.
Scientific significance of the project is the investigation of dependence of preparations adaptogenic properties on their chemical structure in order to apply them in forestry and agriculture.
Practice significance of project will be biotechnological methods of isolation and wide using ecologically harmless cheap preparations of plant origin to protect agricultural plants and forest, also to reproduce the last ones. Guidelines to use these preparations will be worked out.
The role of foreign collaborators will be expressed as follows: exchanging relevant information, discussing research results and preparing joint scientific articles etc.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.