Biopreparation Against Sucking Insects
Development of an Ecologically Safe Biopreparation to Control of Sucking Insects
Tech Area / Field
- AGR-PPR/Plant Protection/Agriculture
3 Approved without Funding
GP Biotechnological Innovation Centre, Russia, Moscow reg., Dashkova
- Research Institute for Plant Protection, The Netherlands, Wageningen\nBiologische Bundesanstalt für Institut für Landd- und Forstwirtschaft / Biologischen Pflanzenschutz, Germany, Darmstadt\nTroy Bioscience Inc., USA, AZ, Phoenix
Project summaryOne of a serious problem of introduction of ecologically safe biopestiride technologies for plant protection against pests is the absence of the required amount of bioagents for control of sucking pests (aphids, mites and others). The sucking pests inflict very high damage to agricultural plants but they are difficult objects for biocontrol. At present there are not another bacterial biopesticides excepting ecologically dangerous exotoxincontaininge preparations (based on Bacillus thuringiensis subsp. thuringiensis) to be applied for elimination of sucking pests.
An alternative direction excluding the use of exotoxin which is not recommended for application in a number of developed countries, is the search of new producers among Bt strains which do not synthesize termo resistant toxin. The specialists of the state enterprise "Biotechnological Innovation Center" have explored strain of Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) subsp. kurstaki which have lost the ability to produce spores and have not formed exotoxin, but which showed high activity in various species of aphids (green peach, melon, cabbage and others). The toxic metabolite of the asporogenic strain of Bt var. kurstaki active to sucking pests is not studied at the present time.
Objectives of the project
The main aim of this project is to create a production technology of new biopreparation for control of sucking pests. The project implies the solution of the following problems:
- To study active principle to sucking pests and possible mechanism of action.
- To select Bt strain with high activity against aphids.
- To develop formulation and its production technology.
- To determine hygienic standards for the production and application of the biopreparation(in the working zone and atmospheric air).
- To elaborate the rules for production and application of the biopreparation.
Participating institutions are supposed to pide their function as follows:
The team of BIOTECH-IC disposes of specialists in the field of microbiology and biotechnology who have great experience on the breeding novel microbial strains and also to participate successfully in the development of some novel microbiological preparations.
The team of RCT&HRB involves a number of specialists in the fields of ecology and toxicology who have good experience in toxicological and hygienic evaluation of bacterial strains and bioprepataions.
Technical Approach and Methodology
Study and analysis of the sucking behavior on plant and through artificial membranes (Electropenetrogrammes) will be conducted. Electroantennogramme setup to analyze the response of antenna of sucking insect to plant volatiles will be used. Selection of high producer strain for sucking pest control will be conducted by the chemical mutagenesis and next screening necessary mutations through biotesting.
Nutrient medium composition, fermentation and concentration conditions to be supplied maximum formation of the active metabolites will be optimized. It is supposed to use methods of mathematical modeling and multifactorplanning of experiments. Methods for cell biomass concentrating which provide maintaining of pesticidal activity will be developed. Modem methods of improving biopreparation formulation including radioprotectors, sticer, spreading agents and other important ingredients will be used. Formulations of new bioinsecticides will be offered and changes in their activity upon storage will be predicted.
Harmlessness for warm-blooded animals will be tested with a laboratory multifunctional polygraph, a computerized system for determining the effects of biologically-active substances on living organisms and equipment for studying their action at the cell level.
The following scientific and practical results are expected to be obtained:
- Bt strain with high activity to sucking pests will be selected.
- The active principle to sucking pests will be studied.
- Nutrient medium composition, fermentation and concentration conditions will be optimized.
- Formulation and the production technology of new ecologically safe biopreparation for control of sucking pests will be developed.
- Harmlessness of strain, technical product and formulation for warm-blooded animals will be evaluated. Hygienic standards in the air of working zone and atmospheric air will be substantiated.
- The biopreparation experimental sample and pilot-batch for trials will be produced.
- Laboratory and small scale field trials of the biopreparation experimental sample and formulation will be carried out. Recommendation for application of new biopreparation will be development.
Standard-technical documentation (technological regulation, Technical Specification) for new biopreparation production will be elaborated. A final report will be prepared.
Hereinafter it is supposed to produce biopreparation for control sucking pests in quantity more than 300 tn per year at biochemical plants and small local enterprises. Deductions from a profit on manufacture of a preparation will allow to finance other biotechnological developments and to provide employment of staff previously engaged in the defense R&D in the subsequent years.
Work on the project will contribute to the increase of agricultural production efficiency and improving quality of food-stuffs in Russia and to the decrease of environmental pollution by chemical pesticides.
The Potential Role of Foreign Collaborators
Study of mechanism of action of bio agents to sucking pests in native and model experiments will be studied together with foreign collaborates from The Netherlands, Germany, USA and other countries. Laboratory and small scale field trials of new biopreparation against different species of sucking pests will be carried out by joint efforts. Recommendation of improving formulations taking into account the results of trials will be made. Coordination of project activities, analysis and discussion of the data obtained will be conducted. Cooperation on the project will enable to integration skilled Russian specialists into the international scientific community.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.