Creation of Computing System of Regional Situational Center
Tech Area / Field
- INF-IMA/High-Definition Imaging and Displays/Information and Communications
- INF-SOF/Software/Information and Communications
- ENV-MIN/Monitoring and Instrumentation/Environment
- ENV-MRA/Modelling and Risk Assessment/Environment
- INF-DAT/Data Storage and Peripherals/Information and Communications
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Wol'f O V
VNIITF, Russia, Chelyabinsk reg., Snezhinsk
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory / University of California, USA, CA, Livermore
Project summaryPeople have realized a long time ago that the Earth is not so very large: spaceships fly it around for just an hour and a half. However, contaminants entering the air, water and soil do not vanish completely, they are accumulatable, and natural resources granted to us for “everlasting use” have become exhausted. People attack atmosphere, lithosphere and hydrosphere practically all over the terrestrial globe. Contaminants are transferred with airflows and fall over vast areas causing extensive damage to soils, flora, fauna, national economy and people health.
Radioactive contamination of the planet is still more dreadful and destructive for all flesh. More than ten years have already passed since Chernobyl catastrophe but huge funds have been still spent yearly for elimination of this accident effects. Arrangement of permanent observations for contaminations and other results of civilization effects on nature as well as fast response to emergency situations are extremely important tasks. The Ural region is a unique in the world for richness in sites of atomic industry and other industrial sites at which potential accidents may lead to severe environmental contamination. The federal target program for economical and social development of the Chelyabinsk region (1998-2005) states that “According to the results of investigations of the specialists from Minpriroda in 1992-1995 the Chelyabinsk region refers to the second group of territories of 7 groups (being just the third after the Sverdlovsk and Kemerovo regions), the population of which is exposed to extremely high technogenic load. Of 600 to 800 thousand people live here under the conditions of increased ecological risk”. Risk of occurrence of emergency situations at these sites, through which a threat of a large-scale environmental contamination would develop, has not been reducing.
The main purpose of Situational Center:
Creating of the regional center serves for the main moral mission of vital activity of a human being — protecting a HUMAN BEING from possible consequences of operation of potentially dangerous enterprises. The Situational Center (SC) would accumulate the target information, means for gathering and analysis of the information, the techniques of simulation and forecasting, constructing of possible development models, and visual representation of data, and that is to be done in the form convenient and useful to the maximum for persons who are to make a decision. The significant factor for necessity of creating the situational center is the opportunity of situational modeling and ecological evaluation that is the opportunity to get an answer for the question “what would it be if…”. It is known that it is easier to detect and prevent negative ecological consequences of the activity at the planning stage (extrapolation) rather than to detect and correct them during the implementation stage. The ecological evaluation should be performed before taking principal decisions on the scheduled activity that is at the possible early stages of planning and design. Constructing and playing back of scenarios would help to avoid many emergency situations, which may occur in real life. In other words computing system (CS) of SC is an extrapolating “instrument” for enhancing effectiveness, accuracy and immediacy of solution of various tasks connected with evaluation and elimination of accidents consequences aimed at safety of a human being vital activity.
As a whole, creation of Situational Center may be pided into the two components:
1. Development of the computing system (CS) of SC, which includes the software and technical system, the software for numerical simulation and engineering calculations, monitoring, ecological evaluation and the instruments for data access and processing.
2. Filling the computing system with actual data, i.e. with cartographic and attributive information referred to a specific locality and the objects, filling the informational databases and others required for SC operation in the mode of actual activity.
Within the frameworks of Project accomplishment the first work constituent on creating Situational Center described above will be implemented.
A sketch map of Situational Center
The Situational Center would represent a specially equipped program-technical system, for one specialist or for a group of specialists, including the software for evaluating and forecasting activities under conditions of threat and occurrence of emergency situations (ES).
The main aim of the Project is creation of the computing system of the regional Situational Center, which would integrate software for preparing well-founded recommendations and practical solutions under emergency situations at potentially dangerous sites of the Ural region. The main constituents of CS SC:
— Software for access and processing of cartographic, attributive information and databases.
— Software for numerical simulation and engineering calculation.
— Software for monitoring and on-line evaluation of ecological situation.
Considering the main aim of Project one may highlight the following combination of information, mathematical and methodical means for solving the above stated problem:
· Geographic and information subsystem, which serves as the mean for systematization and accumulation of odd information in the form of common storages of parameters of situations, geography peculiarities and others.
· Simulation subsystem, which includes the powerful system of numerical and engineering techniques of simulating emergency situations with radiation and chemical factor, with visualization opportunity and plotting the results onto the location map;
· Subsystem of ecological monitoring for studying and accumulating ecological information with the aim to reduce the risk of occurrence of emergency situations and taking the rational decision on their elimination.
· Automated workplace “Situational Center”, which integrates all the developed modules taking into account the specific character of Situational Center and is oriented at the people, who take decisions, and perform the work with functional complexes of problems in full scale.
Scope of activities under the Project may be conventionally pided into 8 sections, each oriented at performing the specific Project aim:
1. Creating a fundamental hardware and software platform for CS SC.
2. Creating the software for input, storage and processing of cartographic, attributive information and databases.
3. Implementation (adaptation) of techniques of numerical simulation ad engineering calculations.
4. Implementation of the software for visualization of calculations and calculation data.
5. Adaptation of “TREC” software system, the instrument for simulating environmental contamination with atmospheric releases. (ISTC Project №048 “Models for transport and transformation of atmospheric trace contaminants”) .
6. Adaptation of the system of “fast” evaluation of ecological situation in the Chelyabinsk region (ISTC Project №500” The Assessment of Priorities for Middle Urals' Environmental Pollution Protection”) .
7. Development of the workplace “Situational Center”, which integrates all the developed CS modules taking into account the specific character of Situational Center and is oriented at the people who take decisions.
8. Creation of a Web-server for demonstrating the potential functionalities of SC computing system in the form of descriptions and demo reels.
The main result of Project will be the integrated software and technical CS SC including the above-mentioned components.
Prospects of development:
1. To create communication means for obtaining on-line information.
2. To create the software for training and simulation of practical activities under possible extreme cases.
3. To create the expert system for evaluating the potential consequences of technogenic accidents at the ecologically dangerous sites within Russia, which are being under design or operation and their total contribution into the common ecological situation in Europe and in the world.
4. Development of the tool for visualizing 3D models of buildings, rooms and their cataloguing and animation.
5. Development of the tool for constructing the virtual potentially dangerous object.
In the result of realization of perspective directions CS SC will be able to cover the vast of range of problems and to become the powerful instrument in the filed of ecological evaluation and taking decision, which might be used both by survival services, situational centers, situational rooms, and other state structures responsible for ecological policy and environmental protection.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.