Polyguanidine-based Disinfecting Means
Scientific Marketing and Implementation of Technology for Application of Polyguanidine-Based Disinfecting Means for Prevention of Surfaces Being in Contact with Water from Biofouling and Prevention of Surfaces Being in Contact with Air from Microbial Cont
Tech Area / Field
- BIO-SFS/Biosafety and BioSecurity/Biotechnology
- ENV-WPC/Water Pollution and Control/Environment
3 Approved without Funding
Research Center of Toxicology and Hygienic Regulation of Biopreparations, Russia, Moscow reg., Serpukhov
- Evima-M, Ltd., Russia, Moscow
- Ost-West Connectionsberatung, Germany, Kassel
Project summaryControl of pathogenic microorganisms which cause infectious diseases in humans and animals and biodegradation of materials is an urgent scientific and practical task.
Air and water are the media where microorganisms can be most easily disseminated and transmitted. Microorganisms can get to the air in the form of aerosol discharged from organisms of humans and animals, as well as a result of accidents happened in microbiological laboratories, from biofilms in water supply and air conditioning systems, and finally as a result of acts of bioterrorism. Reproduction of bacteria (including legionellosis causative agents, which upon entering human organism cause severe disease) and their activity in aqueous systems, according to the present-day understanding, mostly takes place within the formed biofilms.
For prevention of surfaces being in contact with water from biofouling and prevention of surfaces being in contact with air from microbial contamination paintwork materials possessing bactericidal effect can be used.
Development of biocidal water-resistant paintwork materials is based on the results of many-year basic research of irreversible interpolymer reactions, given in doctoral thesis of I.I. Vointseva. The studies conducted provided for possibility to develop synthesis of interpolymer compounds with a wide spectrum of biocidal properties. The results obtained in course of the ISTC #3214p project implementation allowed developing the technology for application of bactericidal coatings for prolonged disinfection of facilities as well as long-term protection of surfaces being in contact with drinking water from biofouling.
Proposed technology of application of the developed biocidal coatings will be adapted for the conditions specified by potential customers based on specificity of technological processes, technical systems and facilities used.
Scientific marketing aimed at promotion of the developed technology of application of biocidal coatings based on polyguanidines for prevention of microbial contamination of air-contacting surfaces and biofouling of water-contacting surfaces will be conducted.
With the purpose to implement the developed technology, the experts involved in the project will take part in specialized exhibitions, they make presentations at the conferences, publish their scientific papers in scientific and scientific-popular journals. All data obtained will be summarized and presented in the form of monograph.
Former weapon specialists participating in the project will take special training courses on quality management system ISO 9001, marketing, laboratory accreditation, and IPR.
The project objectives are as follows:
- Establish contacts with representatives of national and international commercial and state organizations for promotion of results of research work including those obtained during the #3214p project;
- Identify potential investors able to make contribution to realization of results of scientific activities of the RCT&HRB including results obtained during the 3214ð project.
- Identify sponsoring customers and set up contracts with them.
To achieve the goal, the following tasks will be fulfilled:
- Conduct scientific and technical marketing including market analysis;
- Prepare suggestions aimed at realization and commercialization of project 3214ð study results;
- Presentation of the project findings at specialized exhibitions;
- Conduct negotiations with potential customers and investors;
- Organize international scientific workshop;
- Provide training of RCT&HRB and Evima-M scientists in quality management ISO 9001, marketing practices;
- Study legal aspects of the activities related to intellectual property rights, standard administrative procedures;
- Receive consultations for conducting monitoring of activities;
- Arrange demonstration of technical capabilities at the customers’ facilities;
- Implement quality management system at RCT&HRB microbiological laboratory and receive accreditation in the frame of national and international accreditation system, certification of quality management system for compliance with ISO 9001:2000 requirements.
Potential customers can be enterprises with installed systems of closed-circuit water supply, ventilation and air conditioning. In such systems biofilms that cause biodegradation of materials and cause technological process breakdown can be formed. Such biofilms commonly comprise various infectious agents including Legionella.
The developed biocidal coating can also be used in infectious hospitals and microbiological laboratories. When applied on surfaces of working tables, walls or floors it allows reducing the risk of occurring nosocomial infections and discharge of pathogenic microorganisms into the environment.
Use of the coatings in public offices will allow decreasing the concentration of microorganisms in air thus reducing the risk of infection of the working personnel and visitors, lowering the efficiency of possible acts of bioterrorism and reducing expenses for disinfection of indoor facilities.
The customers will use the adapted technologies for the following purposes:
- Prevention of the personnel infection through air transmission of infectious agents;
- Providing continuous technological process.
In order to adapt the technology for conditions of potential customers the following routine procedures will be fulfilled:
- Identification of microorganisms (genus, species, concentration) on the border water/surface, air/surface.
- Selection of the most efficient and cost-effective for a particular customer variants from suggested list of biocidal coatings;
- Evaluation of the effect of different concentrations of disinfectant on the isolated microorganisms;
- Selection of optimal combination of biocidal coating and water-soluble disinfectant;
- Application of biocidal material on the surfaces;
- Monitoring of surfaces biofouling and concentration of microorganisms in water including Legionella;
- Monitoring of the microorganisms content in air and on the surfaces.
Procedures will be performed in compliance with national and international normative documentation using the adjusted and calibrated equipment.
The developed technology provides for the use of PG-based water-soluble disinfectants and water-resistant PG-based biocidal coatings manufactured in Russia.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.