Seismic-Survey Complex for Researches of Small Depths
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-SEM/Seismic Monitoring/Environment
- OBS-NAT/Natural Resources and Earth Sciences/Other Basic Sciences
3 Approved without Funding
Kyrgyz-Russian Slavonic University, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek
- ANPA/Italian Agency for Environment Protection, Italy, Rome\nInstitut de Physique du Globe, France, Strasbourg\nEnterprise Oil Gulf of Mexico Inc., USA, TX, Houston
Project summaryThe project purpose.
Creating of seismic-survey complex (apparatus and programmes means, and also methodical decisions), which will allows to decide operatively structure problems (up to first hundreds of depth) at complicated geological and nature conditions, and also to realize a monitoring of microseismicity, that will permit to determine landslides state.
Introduction and review.
The Kyrgyz Republic territory is a zone of intensive tectonical movements, which is a reason of abnormal seismic activity of the region. The largest seismic catastrophes: Verny (1887) and Kemin (1911) earthquakes occurred there on the boundary of XIX and XX centuries. Large seismic events are accompanied by the strongest deformations, destructions of civil and industrial infrastructures and activization of landslides processes, which is a reason of great disasters. In this case, it is necessary to study a composition of paleo-seismic deformation structures, which are tracks of paleo-earthquakes, for their quantitative estimation and determination of past seismic processes parameters. The same can be said about a zone of landslides activity that needs total study of deformation characteristics and determination of their inside structure to estimate of landslides danger. Nowdays the revealed paleo-seismic deformation structures at the Kyrgyz Republic territory are studied by trenching and digging but these processes can not be always mechanized because of remoteness and local characteristics of researching regions, and possibilities of the methods are limited. Probability of boring is connected with sharp rise in the cost of the works and is limited by problem of the equipment delivery. Geophysical methods of survey are more suitable for structure tasks decision though using of the methods is connected with some difficulties concerning upper part of a section (a zone of low velocities) and concrete objects of the researches: high-gradient and extreme heterogeneous medium differed by relatively low velocities of elastic waves distribution, their intense attenuation, and absence of sharp barriers; tracing of boundaries are complicated by presence of zones of pinching out, crumpling and so on (it is especially applied to supposedregions of investigations). Small amplitudes of single-overlap fault and also absence of sharp barriers in its body hamper fixation of breaking plane. Presence of water in the upper part of the section creates wave screens limiting the using of refracted waves method, which is basic for research of small depths.
The project tasks:
It is supposed to decide the following basic tasks during the project realization:
1. Optimization of apparatus-programmes complex, which has an influence both on operativeness of field works implementation and possibility of their execution, and also on completeness of obtaining data set allowing to realize different methods of processing. These are: an elaboration of research methods; finding of compromise decision between a possibility of the complex to realize different types of observations (frequency diapason, number of channels, dynamical diapason, possibility of express-analysis and so on), and a cost of the works and possibility of their execution in regions with the most different conditions, where the works are limited by gabarits and weight of the complex, using of energy, service and so on; elaboration of programmes maintenance (service programmes, processing programmes and so on).
2. Staging formalization of both processing and field observation supposing of express-analysis execution.
3. Decision of tasks connected with study of concrete geological-tectonical objects at the Kyrgyz Republic territory (found paleo-seismic dislocations, landslides and so on).
4. Data set analysis by impulse microseismic occurrences to reveal parameters of the Earth crust upper part processes of deformation.
5. Generalization of obtained results: compiling of reports, writing of scientific papers and scientific-technical proposals for Ministry of extreme situations of Kyrgyz Republic.
Thus, the tasks mentioned above are difficult and its decision has a multiplanned character. But positive result of proposed research is very actual especially for Kyrgyz Republic and also for other countries with the similar natural conditions.
In 1999 seismic surveys were executed on the Kyrgyz Republic territory to determine and trace the breakings depth on the parts of ancient seismic deformation structures. Reassuring results showed a principal rightness of the approach for decision of the tasks (Haselton, K.; Korjenkov, A.; Tupchy, Yu.; Porat, N.; Bowman, D.; Mamyrov, E.; Omuraliev, M., 2000).
Realization of the project will allow to raise considerably an operativeness and completeness of researches connected with examination and study of complicated structures located on the small depths. The structures are: first, zones of paleo-seismic deformations developing, and, second, parts characterized by high activity of landslides or very dangerous due to landslides developing. All of them will give finally the new factual material for composition of theoretical models of seismic processes development with perspective of their using for earthquakes forecast, and it will also give a possibility to observe operatively landslides, which allows to raise an accuracy of obtained characteristics of landslides processes with using of information about location of impulse sources of microseismic events waves (Turuntaev and Gorbunova, 1989; Turuntaev, 1994; Turuntaev, 1997). The basic demands for successful utillization of the method is a high accuracy of definition of impulse microseismic events location, that is provided by the elaborated apparatus-programmes complex.
1. Haselton K., Korjenkov A., Tupchy Yu., Porat N., Bowman D., Mamyrov E., Omuraliev M. Cenozoic tectonics of the northwestern Issyk-Kul basin, Tien Shan. Geophysical Research Abstracts. 25th General Assembly of European Geophysical Society. Nice, France, 24-29 Apr. 2000. CD Vol. P. 245
2. Turuntaev S.B., Gorbunova I.V. About character of numerous destruction in source area of Gazli earthquakes. //News of AS USSR, Earth Phys., 1989, N 6, pp. 72-78.
3. Turuntaev S.B. Elaboration of methods of seismodangerous blocks and tendency of shock-danger increasing definition. // Methodical basis of control by the natural massive state and prognosis of dynamical processes, Moscow, 1994, pp. 76-87.
4. Turuntaev S.B. 1997. A method for mine seismicity increase forecast by means of seismic events catalogue analysis. Bull. Seismol. Assoc. of the Far Fast, SAFE 3(2), 31-44.
Volume of the works:
Preliminary stage includes:
– Elaboration of joint working plan and technical calendar plan.
– Compiling of inpidual working plans for participants of the project.
– Preparation of agreement with ISTC.
Basic stage includes:
– Creating of apparatus-programmes complex (the complex of apparatus and service programmes) corresponding to demands allowing to decide the raised tasks.
– Wide diapason of application in methodical plans and under different natural conditions.
– Flexibility of management allowing to change the methods of fields researches operatively.
– Modernization of existing programmes and elaboration of new programme means for field materials processing.
– Optimization of field observation methods and apparatus-programmes means for parameter-geological objects.
– Formalization of field observation process and obtained data set processing, supposing a decrease of effect of subject factor on work results, and which also allowing to realize all possibilities of the complex and execute different kind of observations during optimum periods.
– Study of concrete geological objects at the Kyrgyz Republic territory (found paleo-seismic dislocations, landslides and so on).
– Analysis of practical/commercial using of results obtained during the project realization.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.