Rehabilitation of Contaminated Natural Objects
Evaluation of Rehabilitation Possibility for Sapropel Water Reservoirs Located on the Easten-Ural Radioactive Trace (EURT)
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-RED/Remediation and Decontamination/Environment
3 Approved without Funding
VNIITF, Russia, Chelyabinsk reg., Snezhinsk
- Ural Branch of RAS / Institute of Plantage and Animal Ecology, Russia, Sverdlovsk reg., Ekaterinburg
- Tulane University Medical Center / Energy Spatial Analysis Research Laboratory, USA, LA, New Orleans
The current project is oriented onto solution of the problems regarding rehabilitation radiation-contaminated objects of the environment and invigoration of the population impacted by ecological and technical catastrophes and affected by their consequences for a long time.
The main objective of the project is to conduct a complex of exterior, experimental and calculative researches of the lakes and them adjoining water accumulating areas enabling to evaluate their radio-ecological status and develop recommendations on harmless (for the population health) involvement of those lakes into economics, and recommendations on ecological rehabilitation of water reservoirs, as well.
On base of the results obtained there will be developed a specialized software to calculate the model of radio-nuclide migrations, that, basing on the results of experimental and simulating researches, will enable to evaluate and forecast the evolution of radiation situation in the districts being studied.
To perform the project the work will be conducted in the following major directions:
- Acquisition and processing of the available information about radio-ecological characteristic of the lakes and them adjoining water accumulating areas. Gathering of the information about nowadays-actual economic usage of both natural objects.
- Conducting of a complex of location researches on today’s radio-ecological status of both natural objects.
- Conducting of experimental researches for the development of rehabilitation measures and economic utilization of sapropels from both lakes.
- Development and justification of recommendations for rehabilitation of the lakes and utilization of them for the human needs.
Implementation of project results will ensure high quality works on rehabilitation of environment objects contaminated by artificial radionuclides and creation a model of such natural object rehabilitation.
The proposed project will enable to provide about three-year alternative employment for scientists and engineers linked with nuclear ammunition development.
Experts from USA and Europe are expected to take part in those works. Joint work will help the US and Europe scientists to select the optimum methods of environment object rehabilitation.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.