Evaluation of Risk Factors for Peste des Petits Ruminants Virus
Evaluation of Risk Factors for Peste des Petits Ruminants Virus in Sheep and Goats at the Wildlife-Livestock and elaboration of specific prevention
Tech Area / Field
- BIO-CGM/Cytology, Genetics and Molecular Biology/Biotechnology
- BIO-SFS/Biosafety and BioSecurity/Biotechnology
3 Approved without Funding
Kyrgyz Research Institute of Veterinary named after A.Duysheev, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek
- Kyrgyz National Agrarian University, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek\nVeterinary Institute of the Tajik academy of agricultural sciences, Tajikistan, Dushanbe
- The Pirbright Institute, UK, Pirbright\nAnimal and Plant Health Agency, UK, Surrey
Project summaryThe main objective of the project is to carry out epidemiological monitoring of an economically important plague of small ruminants, Peste des petits ruminants virus (PPRV) in sheep and goats and susceptible wild animals. Characterisation will involve virus isolation, the study of its properties and immuno-genetic structure and comparison this properties between domestic and wild animals. Research into pathological and histological changes in infected organs of the immune system and the inpidual affected organs following natural infection will also be performed. Depositing local strains suitable for the production of vaccines based on it, and diagnostic preparations. Development of the scheme of prophylactic measures, to suit local climatic conditions, and biological properties of the virus the allocation of local strain.
To obtain this aim it is necessary to solve the following tasks:
1) Conduct an analysis of the epidemiological situation in recent years
2) Investigate the presence of serum virus-specific antibodies in sheep and goats and susceptible wild animals;
3) Select, adapt and explore immunobiological properties of virus isolates of PPRV using acceptable cell cultures
4) Conduct a phylogenetic analysis (sequencing) and Next Generation Sequencing in collaboration with UK institutions
5) Explore the microstructure of the internal organs and regional of lymph nodes naturally infected with peste des petits ruminants and for comparative analysis - the normal structure of secondary organs immunogenesis;
6) Research the pathological morphology of the lymph nodes, lungs, kidneys and tripe naturally infected with peste des petits ruminants.
7) Develop a program for the monitoring and prevention of peste des petits ruminants.
For all tasks will be used scientific and technical methods. The project will be carried out in the laboratory of virology and biotechnology of the Kyrgyz Research Institute of Veterinary, at the Kyrgyz National Agrarian University named after K.I. Skryabin, with Tajikistan colleagues.
To elucidate the epizootic situation in the country will be explored in blood serum of susceptible animals, pathological material from diseased and dead animals. Research will conduct the most highly skilled modern diagnostic methods (ELISA, PCR, and sequencing).
To design an electronic database will be used the program ArcGIS, with entering flash points for GPS navigator.
Histological sections are obtained using sledge microtome 5-8 microns and automatic microtome new modification thickness of 2-4 microns. For microscopic analysis, general histological sections are stained with hematoxylin and eosin. Histopathological analysis of preparations will be conducted under the light microscope OLYMPUS at weak and strong magnification.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.