Computer Complex for Analysis of Radiographic Images
Research and Development of Soft Hardware Family for Computer Analysis and Evaluation of Radiographs for Assurance a Better Ecological Safety of Oil and Gas Pipelines, Nuclear Power Engineering and Chemical Industry Institutions
Tech Area / Field
- INF-DAT/Data Storage and Peripherals/Information and Communications
- INF-IMA/High-Definition Imaging and Displays/Information and Communications
- INF-SOF/Software/Information and Communications
- INS-DET/Detection Devices/Instrumentation
3 Approved without Funding
Oktyabr Production Association State Enterprise, Russia, Sverdlovsk reg., Kamensk-Uralsky
- Central Research and Development Institute of Metallurgy and Metals, Russia, Sverdlovsk reg., Ekaterinburg\nNPO TsNIITMASH (Machine-Building Technology), Russia, Moscow
- Fraunhofer Institute Zerstörungsfreie Prüfverfahren, Germany, Saarbrücken\nNDT Systems & Services AG, Germany, Stutensee
Project summaryA considerable number of industrial institutions, using modern technology achievements, are certainly complex technological structures. They carry a high potential of danger to personnel, the environment and ecology. As a rule, safe operation of industrial institutions depend greatly on the correct usage of nondestructive control, allowing to evaluate the level of flaws in machinery as well as the impact of corrosive atmosphere, high pressure, and temperature on metal materials longevity. Two methods are being used for internal flaw detection: radiography and ultrasonic.
A radiographic method is the most widely applied procedure of non-destructive inspection of welded connections. It is used for inspection of objects of hazardous productions and nuclear-power engineering. The major advantage of radiographic inspection lies in retention of data regarding inner structure of an object, onto radiographic film. Decoding of radiographic images is the most labor-intensive and crucial stage of radiographic inspection.
Image decoding is a subjective operation. Its reliability depends on:
- Professional skill of inspectors accomplishing flaws detection;
- Noise level of radiographic images on the films (caused by quantum noises and film grain);
- Geometric smear resulting from relatively great dimension of focal spot of X-ray tube, being used for inspection of welded connections;
- Wide dynamic range of optical density (1.5 – 4.5 B) of radiographic images, presence of optical density gradient, caused by a shape and geometry of a welded connection.
All above mentioned issues complicate the procedure of radiographic images decoding, i.e. both flaws detection and their classification. Up to now, Russian industry applied only non-computerized systems in order to decode and analyze radiographic images. As a result, the reliability of inspection results doesn't meet current requirements to the safety of equipment.
The main reason to apply soft-hardware system in the issues of radiographic inspection (i.e. decoding and archiving of images of welded connections in objects of hazardous productions and power engineering) lies in necessity to improve detectability of dangerous flaws, increase the reliability and objectivity of radiographic inspection.
The technical purpose of the suggested project is accomplishing researches and development of soft-hardware system for decoding and archiving of radiographic images, taking into consideration the gained experience in the field of military radar-location and aerospace photography. Along with the digital processing of images, it allows to improve the reliability of flaws detection and to increase the accuracy of their location and dimensions determination. As a result, the safety of equipment posting danger to the environment will be considerably improved. The success in solving this issue depends greatly on employment of experts working in military radar field and highly experienced in designing devices which meet above mentioned requirements. FGUP PO "Oktyabr" is the industrial institution having experts possessing the best experience required. OAO CNIIM and FGUP CNIITMASH are institutions possessing high-qualified scientists and experts. They are capable in determination of tasks of a research; accomplishing task-oriented research; development of data processing algorithms, and development of soft-hardware system performance specification based on the results of above mentioned research.
It is projected to conduct research within the suggested project. A line of soft-hardware systems consisting of 3 versions is to be developed based on accomplished research.
Model 1. A microprocessor controlled soft-hardware system for stationery laboratories for digital archiving and decoding of roentgenograms.
Model 2. A portable hand-held microprocessor controlled soft-hardware system for application outside of laboratories for digital archiving and decoding of roentgenograms.
Model 3. A microprocessor controlled soft-hardware system installed on a vehicle featuring cross-country capacity for digital archiving and decoding of roentgenograms, for application during construction of new installations being inspected my means of radiographic inspection.
The participating institution FGUP PO "Oktyabr" possesses personnel that is highly qualified in the field of analysis of images and aerospace photographs (ISTC missile technology code number is 1.2). Currently ISTC does not make full use of the professional skills of this personnel. These weapon scientists and engineers possess the deep knowledge of R&D technology for complex devices utilizing microprocessor technology for the usage in Northern area of Russia.
The participating institution OAO CNIIM is responsible for accomplishment of research and theoretical analysis in the field of radiographic inspection. It possesses highly qualified scientists and experts capable of accomplishment task-oriented research, and, of development a requirements specification for the line of soft-hardware system, algorithms and software for above mentioned soft-hardware systems.
The participating institution FGUP CNIITMASH is responsible for accomplishment of research and theoretical analysis in the field of radiographic inspection. It possesses highly qualified scientists and experts capable of determination of major lines of research, and of development a requirements specification for the line of soft-hardware system, and the hardware component of above mentioned soft-hardware systems.
The Project Collaborator Fraunhofer Institute IZFP is responsible for education of experts and persons working for doctor's degree; holding 2 seminars; accomplishing tests of device prototypes; carrying out the analysis of requirements specification and engineering specifications in the meaning of conformity to international and national standards requirements.
The proposed project meets the purposes as follows:
1. Provide a solid foundation for moving the knowledge and experience of experts engaged in producing guidance systems for missile weaponry, towards peaceful activities.
2. Support applied research concerning the designing of effective nondestructive devices, which is equally actual both in Russia and abroad, with the consideration of experience gained in military radar field.
3. Support weapons experts in accommodation and finding their niche in a market-driven economy being developed in Russia.
4. Integrating hi-qualified weapon experts into the international science community by collective activity in designing topical devices for nondestructive testing.
5. Handling the crucial Russian problem of designing a modern soft-hardware system for stationery laboratories for decoding, archiving and subsequent analysis of roentgenograms during inspection of welded connections under severe and specific conditions.
6. Project results implementation provides the possibility to equip Russian industrial institutions (including nuclear power stations) carrying a high potential of danger to environment and the ecological situation with the modern diagnostic tools. Therefore, the possibility of polluting the environment will be considerably decreased.
The amount of research efforts of Russian Project Participants is tentatively allocated as following:
1. Taking part in research accomplishment, development of soft-hardware system, prototypes manufacturing, test operation – FGUP PO "Oktyabr" (45%).
2. Research accomplishment, development of hardware component of soft-hardware system – FGUP CNIITMASH (27.5%).
3. Research accomplishment, development of software component of soft-hardware system, test operation – OAO CNIIM (27.5%).
Foreign collaborator, the Fraunhofer Institute for Nondestructive Testing (IZFP) participates in research and design of electronic circuit prototypes with special emphasis on the physical principles of nondestructive testing, search units, and instruments for various industrial applications. The following range of collaboration will be expected:
- Collaborative and parallel investigations and research activities.
- Conducting joint workshops, symposiums, conferences and consultations.
- Result supervision using independent methods.
- Collaborative investigation of reports.
- Consultation concerning the rights of intellectual property for joint invention.
When performing research, modern design methods and computer processing of test results will be applied.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.