Infrasound Method for Nuclear Tests Detection
Research of Infrasound Background Characteristics for Estimation of Threshold Sensitivity of Infrasound Method for Nuclear Test Monitoring
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-SEM/Seismic Monitoring/Environment
- ENV-MIN/Monitoring and Instrumentation/Environment
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
NIIIT (Pulse Techniques), Russia, Moscow
- Kolsky Regional Seismological Centre, Russia, Murmansk reg., Apatity\nInstitute of the Geophysical Services, Russia, Kaluga reg., Obninsk\nSiberian Branch of RAS / Institute of Solar-Earth Physics, Russia, Irkutsk reg., Irkutsk\nInstitute of Atmospheric Physics, Russia, Moscow
Project summaryThe main purpose of the project is modernisation of methods and means for CTBT monitoring on the basis of experimental materials on recording of nuclear and industrial explosions and atmosphere sounding results, available in Russian and international organizations.
By the project is provided:
· acquisition, archiving and analysis of experimental results on recording of infrasound signals of natural and technogenious origin;
· research of infrasound background characteristics of natural origin, it dependence on weather conditions, season and terrain conditions;
· research of effect of external filtering facilities and design of sensors on signal-to-noise ratio and direction finding accuracy of signal source.
As the basic ways of the decision of the target tasks it is supposed:
· To use available and new received during performance of the project experimental data on recording of infrasound signals of natural and technogenious origin.
· To use available and again received during performance of the project experimental data on recording of seismic signals for verification and definition of characteristics of some sources of signals.
· To use available results of rocket sounding for estimation of atmosphere condition.
· To develop techniques and to conduct of calculations of characteristics of spatial infrasound filters.
· To calculate typical beam trajectories for infrasound signals with known conditions of experiment.
· To generalize results of statistical and spectral analysis of experimental data for finding of agreeable condition of recording of infrasound signals.
Fulfilment of the project will allow to develop and represent the following:
· Data base of infrasound signals.
· Generalized statistical data on infrasound conditions in Russia.
· Estimation of mean level of infrasound background.
· Catalogue of spectra of processed infrasound signals.
· Recommendations for dislocation of points of observation on territory of Russia and placing them on terrain accounting of best threshold sensitivity.
· Technique of calibration of the infrasound equipment.
· Results of processing, analysis and information interchange within the framework of international system of infrasound monitoring on explosions.
· Offers on joint experiments on infrasound recording with realization calibration and mine explosions.
· Review of results of researches, approaches and recommendations of using by other countries for organization or upgrade of infrasound networks.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.