Sheep Pox Vaccine
Sheep Pox Vaccine and Its Produce Technology
Tech Area / Field
- AGR-VTH/Vaccines and Theraupetics/Agriculture
- AGR-DIS/Disease Surveillance/Agriculture
3 Approved without Funding
National Academy of Sciences of Kyrgyzstan / Biotechnology Institution, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek
- Colorado State University / College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, USA, CO, Fort Collins
Project summaryAccording to OIE classification sheep pox is an acute virus disease, which is considered to be extremely dangerous animal disease (group A). The disease is propagated in the countries of Africa, Asia and the Middle East. The disease outbreaks are registered in the southern regions of Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Russia and other CIS republics. The principle idea of the PP is to establish the joint system: virus – cells culture, keeping this substratum for attenuating the virus and obtaining biomass of vaccine strain. The use of a homogeneous system of virus cultivation, to our minds, would promote the decrease of virulence and reactogenicity of pox virus for host-animal, keeping immunogenicity. There is another aspect of the problem. The world is under the permanent threat of the bio terrorists. Animals might also be the objective of terrorists’ attack. The agents of Poxviridae class take one of the first places in the list of biological weapons. Therefore, further development and improvement of vaccines and technologies, which might be used for mass immunization of animals in short terms is needed.
To carry out preventive measures, live attenuated vaccine is used subcutaneously. Vaccine strain is multiplied in primarily trypsinious tissue culture of the lamb kidneys.
The given Project Proposal consists of two mutually dependant parts:
- The stability of genome of pox virus, lack of reversion of attenuated strains and the features of immunopathogenesis and transmission of infection, promotes the success of oral vaccine designing. The solution of this task is in the development of the adjoint system: transplantable “TT” cell line and vaccine strain, obtained in the result of isolation, adaptation and attenuation of epizootic virus in the cells of transplantable “TT” line.
- Development of the technology of the vaccine produce in the cells of transplantable “TT” line. “TT” cell line is very sensible to the representatives of Poxviridae class. We have obtained the cell line from normal testicles tissue of a clinically healthy calf. The cells of a line are free of contaminants and don’t bring on a tumor for experimental animals.
Cumulative knowledge will give the opportunity to develop efficient vaccines and technologies against other animal diseases. On completion of the project fulfillment by the weapon – scientists, we expect to obtain attenuated strain, which will be used for oral vaccine designing, significantly reducing the expenses and simplifying vaccination of animals. The new technology of vaccine producing will allow to obtain standard biomass of vaccine strain with high titre and to increase profitability of producing bio preparations.
The executors are experts in the field of cultures of tissues and cells, development of vaccines and diagnostics, in particular, pox vaccine and contagious ecthyma of sheep and goats, inactivated vaccine and diagnostics of animal chlamidiosis.
The Project Proposal fully corresponds to the ISTC objectives and tasks.
The tentative duration of the Project Proposal is 3 years.
Foreign collaborators play an important role in the project fulfillment: adjustment and coordination of the project tasks on all research stages, monitoring and discussing of the results, joint plenipotentiary patenting of the obtained results and their further practical use.
During the project implementation the following is to be done:
- To carry out epizootic survey of the southern region of Kyrgyzstan;
- To give complete description of transplantable “TT” line of cells, to prepare documentation for patenting;
- To isolate and adapt epizootic virus to the cells of transplantable “TT” line, to attenuate it by multiple passages, to study cultural features and immune - biological features at different passage levels;
- To study the changes in the genome of a virus during its attenuation;
- To select the virus versions, which correspond to the features of vaccine version based on immune -biological features while parenteral and oral immunization of sheep;
- To design oral or parenteral vaccine and its producing technology in the cells of transplantable line.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.