Irrigation System of Control of Water Distribution
Development of the Automated Irrigation System of Control over Water Distribution Involving Non-Electrified Periphery Objects
Tech Area / Field
- MAN-COM/CAD and CAM/Manufacturing Technology
3 Approved without Funding
National Academy of Sciences of Kyrgyzstan / Institute of Automatics, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek
- New Mexico State University / Department of Civil Engineering, USA, NM, Las Cruces\nVon Hoerner&Sulger (vH&S), Germany, Schwetzingen
- \nUniversity of Wyoming / Department of Civil Engineering, USA, WY, Laramie
Project summaryGoal of the Project: to develop and create hardware and software for automated system of control over water distribution (ASCWD) in irrigation inclusive non-electrified periphery objects.
Rational use of water resources is one of the most important irrigation problems. Economic and ecological aspects of human activities make it necessary to implement the methods of water distribution that could provide more effective use of irrigation water, improving soil quality and protecting irrigation objects and adjoining territories from floods.
Modern full-function system of irrigation water distribution is a complex of hydro-technical constructions, water channels, pump stations, storage reservoirs that compile a united structure and work under unified control laws. At the same time the distribution of water flow is not uniform in time and on all points of the transportation network. This fact causes big losses of irrigation water that leads to negative economic and environmental outcomes. To manage traditional water distribution systems is necessary, as a rule, to obtain considerable energy resources, construct expensive local electric stations and electric lines.
The issue of rational control of water reserves dispersed amongst irrigation channels is very important for minimizing the losses and escaping deficits of irrigation waters.
Internationally the regulating systems of upstream and downstream as well as combined upstream and downstream control logic are used. They are produced by the following companies - «Neyrpic» и «Sogreah», «Avio», «BIVAL» etc. The classification can be found in the works by Malaterre P.O., Zimbelman, D.D. etc.
As a rule, in the systems mentioned above the change of the water flow quantity in the head construction is made basing on the customers’ demand (with limited use of the system’s internal reserves). This leads to unproductive losses of water.
Developing the principles of the automated controlling system for the process of water distribution the project will use the systems of cascade regulation that include the elements stabilizing water levels both in the upstream and downstream of canal checks. The canal checks will be equipped with pneumohydraulic regulators that would stabilize the downstream levels protecting channels from overflow.
To raise the efficiency of the water distribution the project recipients propose the conception of the automated system for control over the water distribution. The system will provide the realization of the following principles.
- Minimize ASCWD construction, operation and maintenance costs by the use of original technical solutions and know-how that would provide the system’s functioning without external electricity providers.
- Raise ASCWD reliability owning to the development of the autonomous subsystems for control over the flow redistribution that would function in the conditions of absence of electricity supply on periphery objects.
The automated system will provide realization of the following processes:
- Automated protection of the hydro-technical constructions from overflow on upstream.
- Transformation of the casual hydrograph on water supply point into a demanded one to regulate the flow and provide necessary schedule of water delivery to irrigation the system.
- Accumulation of the water flow and optimization of using of the internal reserves of irrigation system.
- Water saving in irrigation systems in the conditions when information about the water supply and water use is incomplete (absence of the 100% water volume registration, evaporation, filtration, emergency situations, rainfall etc.)
Timely on-farm irrigation water delivery in accordance with the plan of water use.
These problems could be solved by the development of the multifunctional informating-controlling system that would include soft hardware complex of control unit, technical tools of periphery electrical and hydraulic automatics, reliable subsystem of data collection, transmission and processing. This system should work on the objects that are not supplied with electricity.
Since its founding in 1960, the Institute of Automation under Kyrgyz National Academy of Sciences has been conducting scientific research on automation of irrigation systems. The fundamental and theoretical developments on the principles of construction of the cascade water flow regulation and control systems allowed solving a range of important problems related to making of technical tools of hydraulic automation and methods of control. Practical developments worked out by the project recipients were used in the process of automation of hydro-technical constructions both in Kyrgyzstan and abroad (Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, and Ukraine).
Scientific publications by the project recipients (more than 200 scientific works), inventions and know-how by scientists previously worked for the military as well as their experience in engineering allow positively estimate the potential of the successful realization of the project tasks declared.
The project realization will allow realizing the following tasks:
- Develop the concept and construction principles of the automated control system for water distribution in irrigation on periphery objects without electricity supply.
- Develop the mathematical models for redistribution (transformation) of water flow.
- Develop construction principles for water distribution controlling subsystem with decentralized structure that would provide stabilization of basic hydraulic parameters of irrigation system autonomous canal stretch.
- Develop the informating-controlling subsystem for ASCWD.
- Develop ASCWD experimental model and conduct field tests.
- Develop the plan for the use of water distribution technologies worked out in the course of the project.
The use of hydraulic and pneumohydraulic regulators developed in the course of the project for stabilization of water levels and discharges in the hydro-technical constructions will provide reliable and undisturbed operation of the system, reduce the costs for electrification and maintenance hydro-technical constructions as well as make the size of the construction smaller.
The informating-controlling system that is to be developed within the project will allow raising the speed and realizing most complicated algorithms of ASCWD hydro-mechanic equipment functioning in extreme situations. The results received within the project will be targeted at revealing the most effective technical solutions that would be used in the course of the experimental development and field studies.
The project realization will allow the scientists and specialists participated in weapon development and tests turn their activities into peaceful directions and promote conversion processes. The project development will help Kyrgyz scientists get integrated into the international scientific community, support peaceful research and speed up resolution of national and international engineering problems in the fields of ecology and agriculture.
The project has significant commercial potential, as thanks to the implementation of unique engineering solutions it will give an opportunity to cut down construction and maintenance expenses of hydro technical irrigation systems.
The project belongs to the category of applied research.
The project research will allow developing mathematical models for the system of water flow transformation. The models will take into consideration wave processes unsteady and quasi-steady regimes of flow motion in the open river-bed. Basing on the model, rational correlation of hydraulic parameters of water flow in a channel will be obtained and the laws of indirect method for evaluation of non-balance discharge will be found.
The research will provide the following as well:
- Exchange of information between project recipients and collaborators,
- Organization of joint conferences and workshops,
- Practical implementation of the project results and partnerships in the field of commercial use,
- Development of the joint recommendations on perfecting the technologies of water distribution taking into account ecological, economic and technical needs,
- Joint checkup and evaluation of the efficiency of the ASCWD technical tools.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.