Local Irradiation of Cancer Cells
New Rentgenooptics Elements and Methods for a Local Irradiation of Cancer Cells and Researches of Secondary Structures of Ribonucleic Acids and Ribonucleoprotein Complexes
Tech Area / Field
- PHY-SSP/Solid State Physics/Physics
- BIO-CGM/Cytology, Genetics and Molecular Biology/Biotechnology
3 Approved without Funding
Russian Academy of Sciences / Institute of Radioengineering and Electronics / Fryazino Branch, Russia, Moscow reg., Fryazino
- Activation Laboratories Ltd, Canada, ON, Hamilton\nUniversity of Pennsylvania Medical Center, USA, PA, Philadelphia\nInternational Academy of Science and Technology, USA, CA, Los-Angeles\nUniversita' Politecnica delle Marche, Italy, Ancona\nState University of New York at Stony Brook / Department of Neurobiology and Behavior, USA, NY, Stony Brook\nInstitute of Physical and Chemical Research (RIKEN) / SPring-8 Center, Japan, Hyogo
Project summaryRecently growing interest to micro-fascicular radiotheraphy as to potentially new clinical method is observed. In contradistinction to the usual radiotheraphy, micro-beam therapy uses the series of parallel microscopic thin (less than 100 micron) X-ray beams, as a rule of synchrotron origins. Investigations have shown that the tissues have much high tolerance to a level of radiation at such configuration of beams than at an irradiation by the continuous beam. Thus, the epithelial tissues irradiated by micro-beams of the thickness in 90 micron and with the distance between beams in 300 micron under average energy 120 KeB were recovered after absorption of 835-1335 Heat radiation. Such elevated survivability of the tissues can be explained by the biological properties of cells that survived within the intervals between irradiating micro-beams.
The purposes of the project are:
- research of cancer cells with the help of an irradiation nano-beams and new methods of genic engineering.
- method of X-ray holography and X-ray-fluorescent nana-tomography will be used to receive magnified images of RNAs in order to investigate secondary structures of ribonucleic acids and ribonucleoprotein complexes.
The following methods will be used in framework of the project:
- The method of X-ray phase contrast.
- The method of X-ray holography.
- The method of X-rey-fluorescent nana-tomography, demanding application of nana-focuss X-ray beams that allow to recover 3D-structure of ribonucleic acids and their complexes (for example, RNA-protein complexes forming in the processes of a post-transcriptional regulation of genes).
- Adaptive - evolutionary method of the two-dimensional images reconstruction in the presence of noises.
The basic expected results of project:
- From the scientific point of view:
- study of influence of RNA secondary structure on its ability to contact with the fibers in the process of post – transcriptional regulation of genes;
- research of possibility of change in the kinetics of similar contact by directed mutagenesis;
- X-ray focusing Freznel- zoned plates;
- software packages destined for the collection, storage, and initial processing of fluorescent spectra,
- software packages with the function of the image restoration by means of the series of tomographyc fluorescent projections.
- synthesis of 3D images for primary structures of ribonucleic acids and RNA-protein complexes phase-contrast and tomographyc methods;
- comparative analysis of natural and mutant samples as well samples that were exposed by the treatment of genic therapy using the directed local irradiation.
- From the practical and commercial point of view:
- creation of collimators basing on the multilayered mirrors and a crystal phase-zoned plate;
- creation of X-ray focusing elements by means of the use of nana-technology (Phase-zoned plates on the base of silicon and GaAs with a deep superficial relief) with the following characteristics: a power range of X-ray focusing elements is 5 - 50 keV, a focal length is 0.1 - 2 m;
- creation of X-ray planar waveguides for the subsequent compression of a beam;
- creation of software packages for the analysis and processing of tomographyc data sets.
The project gives its participants an opportunity of realization of research work in the important and actual sphere of peace scientific activity. Prospective wide participation collaborators in the project will allow expanding and deepening the international scientific connections of participants of the project and will promote their integration in the international scientific community. Problems of the project are connected to development of means of micro-fascicular radiotheraphy as to potentially new clinical method for treatment of a cancer that is one of purposes ISTC.
Prospective duration of the project - 36 months. From them:
- 6 months allocated on:
- generalization and ordering available theoretical and experimental data of rentgenooptics measurements;
- preparation of the measuring equipment;
- 12 months allocated on:
- realization of the first testing experiments to obtain the magnityed image of secondary structure of ribonucleic acids and their complexes basing on a synchrotron radiations source.
- Collimator on base of Freznel-zoned plate,
- Refracting and diffraction rentgenooptic elements on the base of perfect and a protein of them of crystals.
- Holders for biological samples,
- The working version of the software package for the 2D images processing with the purpose of contrast magnification.
- The working version of the software package for the 3D-images reconstruction basing on the 2D-images.
- 18 months it is allocated for:
- obtaining of preliminary experimental data for treatment of the second-degree cancer with the irradiation by nana-beams and the use of new methods of gene therapy.
- The magnified 2D-images of these objects using a method of X-ray holography.
- X-ray focusing Freznel-zoned plates.
- Software packages for collection, storage and initial processing of fluorescent spectra.
- Software packages for the image reconstruction using the series of tomographyc fluorescent projections.
- Software packages, realizing the evaluation procedure to assess the precision of the image reconstruction.
- Generalization of the data obtained and preparation of recommendations for their use.
- Information interchange and the data, preparation of joint scientific and technical reviews on a theme of the project;
- Representation collaborators comments to the scientific and technical reports represented in ISTC;
- Mutual discussion of the results received at separate stages of the project;
- Realization of joint working meetings with discussion of results of stages of the project with the purpose of updating developed techniques and algorithms.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.