Industrial Explosives on the Basis of Utilized Ammunition
Development of Technology and Creation of Industrial Explosives on the Basis of the Utilized Ammunition
Tech Area / Field
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Wol'f O V
Institute of Mining Mechanics, Georgia, Tbilisi
- MAXAM CORP S.A.U., Spain, Madrid\nTechnische Universität Clausthal / Lehrstuhl fur Tagebau und Internationaler Bergbau, Germany, Clausthal-Zellerfeld
Project summaryIn the warehouses of military bases of former Soviet Union located in the countries of Transcaucasia, including in territory of Georgia, a plenty of ammunition with the expired working life is saved up. This ammunition represents social danger to the countries of region distinguished by political and economic instability, and will frequently be involved at fulfillment of acts of terrorism. Shadow business on extraction and delivery on items/points on reception of a breakage of metal parts of ammunition that has resulted in cases of a traumatism and destruction of people occupied in this business was generated.
Destruction of ammunition with the expired working life in great volumes ecologically is rather dangerous, as realization of this action creates additional sources of environmental contamination, including heavy metals and their connections.
Meanwhile, ammunition with the expired working life has the certain value as are energy carriers. Their recycling enables to find effective ways of use of this ammunition to a national economy.
Since 2003 under the program of OSCE «Processing of fighting materials and shells on former military bases of Soviet Union in Georgia », have been developed by the Georgian state military scientific and technical center "Delta" ways of utilization ballistic and pyroxylin gunpowder contained in an ammunition. The basic opportunity of their application has been established as explosives. Not investigated there was engineering ammunition, rocket firm fuel and fighting parts of ammunition which application at utilization in the pure state can result in negative ecological consequences. Therefore the problem of utilization of this ammunition and creation on their basis of new assortment of industrial explosives is represented rather actual. Realization of the project will promote development of the mining industry in the countries of Transcaucasia and to growth of their economic potential. One of deterrents of development of the mining industry in Georgia is absence of a factory on manufacture of industrial explosives and, the deficiency of effective waterproof explosive structures caused by it, need (requirement) in which is estimated in 2.0-2.5 thousand tons one year.
The purpose of the project is creation of new assortment of industrial explosives on the basis of a utilized ammunition and development of the investment program of construction of the enterprise on release of these explosives.
In the project tasks will be solved by definition:
– specific energy and full ideal work of explosion, speed of a detonation of a utilized ammunition and explosives on their basis;
– compoundings of industrial explosives on the basis of utilized ammunition (UE);
– structure of products of a detonation of a utilized ammunition and explosives of (UE);
– basic technical characteristics of explosives of UE, including efficiency, brisance, sensitivity external influences, critical diameter, ability of transfer of a detonation, water resistance;
– seismic influence of explosion of charges UE on engineering constructions and natural objects with development of methods of regulation of their fluctuations;
– areas of use UE and classes of all assortment on conditions of storage, transportation and application.
At definition of explosive characteristics and technological properties of a utilized ammunition and UE explosive chambers of the Institute of Mines the Academy of sciences of Georgia, equipped by the necessary equipment recording fast proceeding processes, and measuring techniques for definition of structure of products of a detonation will be involved. Degrees of their ecological influence on an environment and seismic effect of explosion will be executed also ground investigations/researches for an establishment of efficiency of UE.
Expected results and their application.
Realization of the project provides:
– development of assortment of industrial explosives on the basis of a utilized ammunition with representation of their hydrodynamical characteristics, technological properties and degrees of negative influence on an environment and protected constructions;
– development of the computer program on distribution of an optimum compounding of these explosives for concrete conditions of detonation;
– development of the investment program of construction of the enterprise on release of industrial explosives on the basis of utilized ammunition with commercial estimation of the project by principles UNIDO.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.