Mercury-Containing Materials Treatment
Development of Ecologically Safe Technology of Kyrgyzstan’s Mercury-Containing Raw Material Processing
Tech Area / Field
- CHE-IND/Industrial Chemistry and Chemical Process Engineering/Chemistry
- CHE-ANL/Analytical Chemistry/Chemistry
3 Approved without Funding
National Academy of Sciences of Kyrgyzstan / Institute of Chemistry and Chemical Technology, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek
Project summaryThe purpose of the project
To solve a biosphere pollution problem at the industrial region of Republic by perfection of mercury extraction technology by the hydrometallurgical way.
The project is directed on carrying out of researches on development of ecologically safe technology of mercury extraction from mineral raw material and reduction of environment pollution level by mercury.
Essence of the project:
- to give the recommendation on inculcation in manufacture of developed ecologically safe technology of mercury extraction
The urgency of the project is connected by that biosphere infection scales with highly toxic mercury and its compounds have global character.
Ecologically dangerous source of mercury is the Central Asian antimony-mercury province where Kyrgyzstan keeps a priority on of mercury and its compounds extraction in the Central Asia and the world.
At factories of the mining complex making mercury by the pyrometallurgical way, its significant amounts are lost at thermal processing of ore raw material. In the urbanized areas and their frame the high level of mercury and other toxic elements concentration, considerably exceeding their natural background is fixed. The role in circulation geochemically mobile mercury anthropogenous and technogenic factors grows. Therefore ecologically safe technology development researches of mercury extraction are an actual problem in ecological and economic aspects.
For realization of the project purposes the following primary goals are solved:
Gathering and the analysis of the information on technological estimations mercury-containing mineral raw material
- monitoring researches on mercury emission into environment;
- the analysis and treatment of the received results;
- development of ecologically safe technology of mercury extraction.
- Forecasting of volume of the mercury emission in the environment at thermal processing of mercury-containing raw material;
- Development of the technological circuit of mercury extraction by hydrometallurgical way;
- Reduction the pollution level of environment by mercury;
- Delivery of recommendations on introduction in manufacture of developed ecologically safe technology of mercury extraction;
- An effective use of a mineral and raw material resources of Kyrgyzstan;
Role of Foreign Collaborators/Partners
- An exchange of the modern information on technological estimations;
- Representation of comments to technical reports;
- Carrying out of joint symposiums and working seminars
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.