Materials for Lithium Batteries
Synthesis of Nanostructured Electrode Materials for Advanced Lithium Batteries
Tech Area / Field
- NNE-BCM/Batteries and Components/Non-Nuclear Energy
- CHE-IND/Industrial Chemistry and Chemical Process Engineering/Chemistry
- CHE-POL/Polymer Chemistry/Chemistry
3 Approved without Funding
Kazakh National University / Combustion Problems Institute, Kazakstan, Almaty
- Institute of Physics and Technology, Kazakstan, Almaty
- Tokyo Institute of Technology / Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Japan, Tokyo
Project summaryThe main goal of the Project is to investigate and develop new electrode (anode) materials technologies for lithium-ion current sources. The main characteristics of really working products are lower than theoretical ones. It is mainly connected with difficulties of translation and depositing of charged particles in electrode materials of lithium current sources. The specific capacity is less than 330 mA·h/g for industrially producing electrode materials. Graphite collapses in the processes of charge-discharge cycling that leads to reducing operational characteristics and early abruption of current source.
The project is aimed at solving the described problems using the synthesis of new electrode materials through a process of soft carbonizing of vegetal cellulose. It is proposed to synthesize and investigate nanostructured carbon materials in order to use them for electrodes of lithium-ion current sources. The preliminary laboratory tests of nanostructured carbon samples of vegetal cellulose as anode electrodes material have showed fine stability together with reasonable capacity.
The team of specialists – physicists and chemists – who have work experience in the field of nanotechnologies has been formed to implement the Project.
The following stages of the Project are proposed:
- Synthesis special carbon material through soft carbonization of vegetal cellulose for anodes of lithium-ion current sources;
- Investigation of morphology and structure of the carbon materials;
- Search for increasing specific capacity of lithium-ion current sources and stability of their new anode material and for decreasing irreversible capacity;
- Preparation of pilot batch of lithium-ion current sources on basis of the developed anode material.
Scheduled Project investigations have applied character and promote the use of military technologies in peaceful purposes. These investigations have independent scientific value in the field of electrochemistry and chemical technology too. The terminal product of the Project – new anode material – is competitive item that has scientific novelty and demand in civil industry branches. Project fulfillment should solve some national and international technological problems aimed at ousting expensive and ecologically harmful actual productions.
During implementation time the following ISTC objectives should be realized:
- scientific potential of those specialists who relate to weapon development will involved;
- reorientation of millitary elaboration to creating high technologies in civil industry branches;
- integration of weapon scientists into international scientific community;
- participation in international scientific conferences and publication of the main Project results for expanding application field of the technologies and their marketing.
After the Project completion the stage of applying the developed technology to production of lithium-ion current sources with new anode material is planned. This activity will allow creating modern production on the territory of Republic of Kazakhstan and filling the Republic market with modern and necessary article.