Automatic Control of Surface Polishing
Development of Methods and Means for Estimation of Relation Between Physical-Technical Properties of the Stone Materials and Lustre Index of the Polished Surface under Flow-Production Using Special Lustremeter
Tech Area / Field
- INS-MEA/Measuring Instruments/Instrumentation
3 Approved without Funding
NPF "Stone & Silicates", Armenia, Yerevan
- Istituto Elettrotecnico Nazionale Galileo Ferraris, Italy, Torino\nUniversity of Tokyo / Graduate School of Frontier Sciences, Japan, Tokyo
Project summaryAccording to the objectives and tasks of ISTC within the framework of the present Project it is offered to organize from among the employes SCAO " Stone and Silicates " engaging before in the weapon development, research and development group on development and improvement of a check lustremeter on the base of the digital estimation technique with the НИИКС БМ-3 lustremeter in automatic flow production manufacturing products made from natural stone and other material, also on technology development of the manufacture rigid polisher aiming the enhancement of an absolute lustre of surfaces and maximum efficiency of the polishing process.
The development of the new lustremeter will allow investigation to be carried out on systems controlling the quality of a polished surface of production including the natural stone and the development of the new technology for coordination of the polishing process with quality control [2,3].The analysis of available technologies, methods and means of facing slabs polished surface quality control has shown that in general the quality estimation is performed visually. We offer to develop the special lustremeter on the base of the НИИКС БМ-3 lustremeter permitting the objective estimation of the surface polishing and coordination of the given estimation to the production technological process . The group of researchers, engineers and designers having wide experience in the field of engineering and building industry have been included in activity of the given Project. The development of the new lustremeter has permitted realizing objective and fast surface quality digital estimation of polished slabs made from the natural stone. The available means on estimation of the polishing process were not advanced within many years in relation with the restricted possibilities for development of new systems digitally estimating the polished surface.
In the meantime, the development of new systems estimating a polished surface and possessing improved technical and working characteristics has been made possible with the scientifically justified approach. The methods and means of the automatic quality control of the polished slab surface with investigation on more optimal conditions of their application and accuracy according to the technical and technological requirements are examples of above mentioned kind [11,12].
The result of preliminary investigations have shown the possibility of creation of the contemporary control system applicable in various working conditions including at the stone-working firms with high economic effect and considerable improvement in production quality. The Project will allow the complex investigation to be carried out on field of the applied civil science. The research in the field of the stone and other materials working is complexity due to the wide range of the color spectrum these materials and it is necessary to find precise criteria permitting the comparative estimation of the polished surface quality independent from color together with the obtaining the objective polishing index . The above-mentioned shows that the basis for development of the new БМ–3 lustremeter can serve НИИКС БМ-3 recommended as a device determining the lustre of polished surface on the base of the reflectance upon polishing of color surfaces. The multiple experiences with samples of various coloring and shades have verified that on the base of the НИИКС БМ-3 lustremeter it is possible to fabricate a lustremeter estimating digitally the polishing process with small measurement error . It is proposed:
– determination the limiting realizable lustre for every group of the polished materials;
– application of the lustremeter in the technological polishing process.
On the base of the special elaborated grinding-polishing machine it is assumed to develop the system of automated control over the polishing process. This makes possible the grinding-polishing of slabs and their surface quality control in their production process under automated conditions. The possibility of development high-performance rigid polishers allowing achievement of maximum polishing lustre with the considerable minimum cost on polishing process is revealed by preliminary investigations also. The distinguished characteristic of the system is that the production line is completed from the set of polishing heads, of which the necessary group is introduced in operation on the basis of the preliminarily obtained data. It permits to develop the zero-defects and saving technological system of production. The developed high-performance polishers will provide the polishing heads.
The purpose of the Project is:
– development and investigations of the digital quality control methods and means for the slab surface including ones made from natural stone in accordance with the polishing of the surface and measurement technique including under automatic flow production;
– development of a new generation of the rigid polishers on the base of mineral row materials available in Armenia.
Considering the necessity of a digital estimation for the polishing quality of the natural stone and the other materials and lack of such device in stone processing, on the base of the НИИКС БМ–3 lustremeter it is planned to develop the lustremeter permitting the estimation of polishing quality. As a result of the execution of Project the following tasks will be resolved:
– investigations on the experimental stand varying the processing parameters of the polishing process for evaluation the measurement accuracy of the НИИКС БМ–3 lustremeter;
– on the base of the НИИКС БМ–3 lustremeter to design the new lustremeter allowing the digital estimation of the polishing quality including in dynamic conditions;
– preparation of the computer package realizing the control of polishing process on the automated and transfer lines in dynamics;
– preparation of the computer package realizing the control of polishing process in dependence on physical – technical properties of the worked material and obtaining the maximum polishing lustre with the considerable minimum technological costs;
– development of special rigid polishers on the base of mineral row materials of Armenia;
– preparation of the computer package realizing the control of technical characteristics rigid polishers in dependence on physical – technical properties of the worked material.
Within the framework of the present Project it is planned to develop a special lustremeter permitting the digital estimation of the polished surface together with coordination of the polishing process with the quality control and to investigate the given control system. Taking into account, that the finishing processing of materials
are rather labor-consuming and dimension stability of the tool is the main characteristic of the tool quality in view of its efficient production, the binder should have appropriate properties in relation to abrasive so that to hold strong latter. However, the resolution of the above mentioned and planned tasks on development of the rigid polishers and development of the digital estimation of the polishing process requires the complex studies. In particular, the following investigations will be carried out:
– development and design of
– experimental stand for modeling the polishing process,
– electronic unit controlling 100% lustre of the product to feed of motion to the flying vehicle;
– design of the special lustremetre and investigations on opportunity of its application under flow production;
– studies of the lustremeter operation in dynamics and its compatibility with the available transfer line: development of the lustremeter-computer system;
– widening the application area of the lustremeter;
– preparation of the necessary normative-technical documentation, design and investigation of mini-lustremeter ;
– development of the manufacturing method for the rigid polishers and their investigations;
– development of the manufacturing method for the natural soft abrasives and elaboration their service properties.
As a result of execution planned works it will be designed gamma of the rigid polishers intended for various materials. The field performance of developed rigid polishers will be directly correlated to the physical-chemical-technical characteristics of processed materials. Because of Project realization the technique of the digital estimation of the lustre of the polished surface including of the natural stones will be developed. Suggestion for the digital estimation of surface polishing during the process of the polishing is a recent trend in the technology of estimation of the surface lustre and it seems to be patentable. It is supposed that many technical solutions on development of the fabrication technology for the rigid polishers will be patentable also. In the scientific point of view for the purpose of achievement Project goals material science and machine engineering. It is planed also the scientific contacts will be established with the leading firms and scientific centers realizing scientific research in the field of developments of polishing means and quality estimation of a surface lustre. It is supposed that some of the indicated organizations after considering the Project will agree to become its collaborators. Besides, it is supposed to expand area of cooperation with material science centers and corporations both producing and utilizing rigid polishers and means of polishing quality control.It is supposed that both the technical solutions developed during Project execution and products manufacturing on their basis will have high commercial effect. In the Project the involvement of the SCAC “Stone and the Silicates ‘ experts of the various profile having wide experience in the field of theoretical and experimental researches in areas of materials science, physical-chemistry, mechanical engineering mechanics and metrology is supposed.
The Project execution is supposed for period of 36 months.
The works under the Project will be carried out in 3 stages:
– design of the special experimental panel;
– development methods and means controlling the lustre of a polished surface;
– design of the lustremeter operating in flow production and also gamma of rigid polishers.
The world experience in development of polishing and rigid polishers control means will be used at Project execution.
The Project meets to the ISTC status and is caused by necessity of alternatives for the scientist and technical staff engaged earlier in weapon development.
1. Ter-Azarev I.A., Babayan Z.A. СОЖ application for improvement of bulding materials quality. Natinal Academy of Science of Republic Armenia. National foundation of Science and Advanced Technologies. Chemical Science at the threshold of XXI century. Transaction of Abstracts. 18-20.05.2000, Yerevan, p.197 (Rus.)
2. Babayan Z.A. Automated production line for the polishing of fasing slabs using НИИКС БМ-3 lustremeter. Proceedings of National Academy of Republic of Armenia and State Engineering University of Republic Armenia –Technical Science, vol. LII, N1, Yerevan, 1999, p. 131-133 (Rus.)
3. Babayan Z.A. Measurement accuracy of the lustremeter upon its moving above the slab. Proc. of Nati.Acad. of Republic of Armenia and State Engin.Uni. of Republic Armenia –Tech. Sc., vol. XLIX, N2, Yerevan, 1995, p. 121-128 (Rus.)
4. Babayan Z.A. Production line for the polishing of fasing stone slabs. Auth. Cert. N 1366331, 15.09.87 (Rus.)
5. Babayan Z.A. Methods and means of polishing quality automatic control of facing slab surfaces and the studying of their accuracy. Architecture, Municipal Engineering, Construction: Joint Transaction of Sc.-Tech. Art. of Teach. Staff, Post-grad. And Sc., Yerevan, Yer. Ac. of Build. En., 1997, p.109-111.
6. Babayan Z.A. Automated production line for the polishing of fasing slabs using НИИКС БМ-3 lustremeter. Transp. and Road-Build. Machines. Join Transaction of Sc.-Tech. Art. of Teach. Staff, Post-grad., Mag., And Sc., LII, N1, ASEA, Yerevan, 1998, p 65-68 (Rus.)
7. Babayan Z.A. Automated facilities for measuring the brightness upon moving of the production line. Transp. and Road-Build. Machines. Join Transaction of Sc.-Tech. Art. of Teach. Staff, Post-grad., Mag. And Sc., ASEA, Yerevan, 1998, p 65-68 (Rus).
8. Babayan Z.A., Haroutounyan K.A. Sample estimation of slab’s surface polishing quality in production set. Association of Natural Stone Experts. Natural Stones of Armenia. Abstracts of Con. Reports, November 7-8, Yerevan. 2000, p. 64-67 (Rus.)
9. Ter-Azarev I. A., Babayan Z. A. About polishing of facing slabs in the sampling. Ministry of Education and Science of Armenia. Annual Scien. Conf. of SEU of Armenia. Vol. 1, Yerevan 2000, p.265-266 (Rus.)
10. Babayan Z.A. Estimation of slab’s surface polishing quality in production set on the basis of lustre measurement results in the sampling. Armenian Association of Computer and Information Systems. Arm. St. En. Ac. (ASEA), Information Technologies and Management“, Noyan Tapan”,Yerevan 1999, p. 106-108 (Rus.)
11. Ter-Azarev I. A., Babayan Z.A., Haroutounyan K.A., Eliazyan L., Edoyan W,G.. Development of the technique and means for estimation of relation between the physical-technical properties of stone material and lustre index of the polished surface. Reports’ Transaction of the International seminar on “Conversion potential of Armenia and ISTC programs”, part II, Yerevan 2000, p. 245.
12. Babayan Z.A. Haroutounyan K.A. Ter-Azarev I. A., Eliazyan L. Development of the technique and means for estimation of relation between the separated groups of stone material and lustre index of the polished surface. ISTC Abstracts of reports October 2-7, 2000, p. 165.
13. Babayan Z.A. Techniques of improvement in quality of the facing slabs made from natural stone with the development of the methods and means of control. Tech. Univer. Georgia, Diss. Cand Tech. Sci.,Tbilisi, 1990, p.47-84.