Preliminary Project for Exploring Mars
Tech Area / Field
- SAT-EXP/Extraterrestrial Exploration/Space, Aircraft and Surface Transportation
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Tocheny L V
Keldysh Research Center, Russia, Moscow
- Russian Academy of Sciences / Institute of Biomedical Problems, Russia, Moscow\nFederal State Unitary Enterprise Research and Development Institute of Power Engineering named after N.A.Dollezhal, Russia, Moscow\nRussian Academy of Sciences / Space Research Institute, Russia, Moscow\nNPO Energia, Russia, Moscow reg., Korolev
- Boeing Northamerican / Rocketdyne Division, USA, CA, Canoga Park\nEuropean Space Agency / European Space and Technology Center, The Netherlands, Noordwijk\nCNES, France, Paris
Project summaryObjectives of the Project:
1st stage: selection of the basic Scenario of Mars Expedition.
2nd stage: development of «Preliminary Project of Mars Expedition».
The process of designing will comprise:
- analysis of problems of man-in-space flight duration aboard the space station MIR;
- analysis of new problems encountered during man-in-space flights to Mars;
- analysis of Mars Expedition Projects that were fulfilled prior to 1998;
- development of the 1998 Conception of the Mars Expedition;
- development of Mars Expedition work specifications for the participating Institutions;
- development and concurrence of the contents of the «Mars Expedition» Preliminary Project;
- working out sections of the «Mars Expedition» Preliminary Project by the participating Institutions in accordance with the Tasks and the Body of the Project;
- concurrence of sections, adjustment and execution of the single Preliminary Project of the «Mars Expedition»;
- consideration of the «Mars Expedition» Preliminary Project, review and working out a decision by a group of experts.
- Development of the mathematical models of manned Mars expedition with due regard for emergency situations.
- Preliminary Project of Manned Mars Expedition.
- Preliminary Project of Solar Propulsion-Power System
- Preliminary Project of Nuclear Propulsion-Power system.
The Role of the Foreign Partners:
- NASA: the programme of international collaboration under Mars Expedition.
- Rocketdyne Division, Boeing North American Inc.: development of requirements for propulsion-power systems of interplanetary spacecraft.
- Centre d'Etudes Nucleaires de Saclev, France: development of requirements for nuclear propulsion-power systems at all stages of operation.
- SEP Division de S.N.E.C.M.A, France; development of LRE for the Mars Expedition.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.