Gene-Fund of Vegetables in South-East Region of Kazakhstan
Preservation of Gene-Fund of Most Important Vegetables in South-East Region of Kazakhstan
Tech Area / Field
- BIO-CGM/Cytology, Genetics and Molecular Biology/Biotechnology
3 Approved without Funding
Kazak State Agriculture University, Kazakstan, Almaty
- The Republican Government Enterprise on the basic of economic control rights “Research Institute for Biological Safety Problems” , Kazakstan, Gvardeiski
Project summaryPreservation of gene-fund of vegetables and potato is an important problem for agriculture of Kazakhstan. Shrinkage of the number of vegetable sorts and species reduces the possibility of Kazakhstan scientists for selection and research activity. So, the project is targeted to preservation of the existing gene-fund and increasing the number of vegetables via introduction and exchange of the plants with gene-funds from other countries.
The project will be implemented in the facility of nursery vegetable farm of the Agricultural university – a branch of Vegetable Growing Chair of the Faculty of Agricultural Biology. The vegetable nursery farm is situated 20 km to the East of Almaty at the foot of Zaily Alatau mountain range and covers 1 hectare. Here, the staff cultivates over 20 species of annual, biennial and perennial vegetable plants. Some of them are unique for Kazakhstan, some species are endemic for the area and under the threat of disappearance. Each of the species includes 3 to 10 varieties of the most popular cucumbers, cabbage, tomatoes, pepper, eggplants, legumes, green vegetables, edible roots, bulbous, etc adapted to the local climate conditions.
Collection of perennial plants includes some rare species like artichoke, tarragon, rhubarb, asparagus, katran, peppermint, savory, fennel, basil, different kinds of onion, etc.
Different sorts selected by Kazakh Research Institute of Vegetables and Potato and other research institutes of the CIS and adapted to the climate of the republic are cultivated in the test field of the Agricultural university together with the most productive sorts that have been selected and cultivated in Kazakhstan.
In the framework of the project phenological observations will be carried out for developing plants in order to assess useful characteristics.
It is planned to preserve and expand the vegetable gene-fund and to investigate morphological features and biological characteristics in order to establish their persistency.
The main objectives of the project are:
- Preservation of the existing gene fund of traditional varieties of vegetables that are wide spread in Kazakhstan and other countries.
- Expanding the biopersity of vegetables via collection of sorts selected by farmers of Kazakhstan and Central Asia.
- Determination of main morphological and biochemical characteristics of the existing gene-types of vegetables.
- Revelation of persistency of characteristics of the sorts selected by farmers.
In the framework of the project it is planned to collect seeds of the plants and to investigate influence of storage terms and pretreatment on their germination and main physiological indicators of the seeds and to elaborate storage conditions for the seeds and sprouts. It is also planned to expand the area of the nursery farm and to increase the collection of species, varieties and hybrids of valuable vegetables. In order to increase the gene-fund we plan to collect seeds and plants from different areas of Kazakhstan and import them from abroad. Also we plan to exchange the seeds with other institutions dealing with vegetable selection.
It is planned that after investigation and adaptation to local conditions recommendations will be elaborated on introduction of valuable vegetables into Kazakhstan agriculture.
It is expected that after implementation of the project the following results will be obtained:
- Collection of traditional wide spread species and sorts of vegetables and sorts selected by farmers of Kazakhstan and Central Asia will be created.
- Main features that characterize persistency will be determined in order to obtain pure lines for the sorts in the future.
- The most valuable species and sorts will be used to create national and international funds of vegetables and to expand possibilities for selection and introduction after exchange of gene-types between regions.
- Adaptation potential for of introduced cultures will be established.
- Collection of vegetables for selection purposes, primary propagation of the sorts with high level of persistency of characteristics and for exchange will be set up.
- Main morphological and physiological characteristics of persistency of the sorts selected by farmers from Kazakhstan and Central Asia will be established and adaptation potential of vegetable sorts from the existing and introduced gene-fund will be evaluated.
The most valuable sorts and species will be used for creation of national and international vegetable gene-fund, for increase of yield and expanding possibility for selection, introduction and exchange vegetable genotypes.