ISTC JOB DESCRIPTION
1. General Description of the Position
The Procurement Assistant (PRA) function is a key position in the ISTC system for managing science and technology projects. PRA is personally responsible for preparation and monitoring of the commercial contracts / purchase orders, development and co-ordination of customs requirements with export/import operations; negotiations with potential suppliers or service providers, purchasing of the equipment or materials, performance of tenders, etc.
The PRA will act in the framework of the ISTC policies, rules and procedures in accordance with the ISTC Agreement and Statute, as well as ISTC Governing Board decisions.
The PRA reports directly to the Chief Procurement Officer at ISTC.
3. Duties and responsibilities
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- to carry out the procurement of equipment, supplies and materials as a result of ISTC programs and projects especially in Central Asia and services responding to the requirements of the Center’s projects and activities, in accordance with the requests submitted by Program Managers and Allotment Managers;
- to provide an efficient and flexible procurement service which will deliver optimum value for money, cost savings and best quality of service;
- to direct the organizational and commercial functions necessary for procurement at the highest international standards practiced in international organizations;
- to maintain the links with the authorities of CIS countries in charge of customs and import/export regulations;
- to control monthly payment for office supplies and services;
- to maintain inventory of equipment purchased for Center projects and activities, and keep records to prevent inventory gaps;
- to assist CPO during open tenders at all stages and be able to travel for making assessment of commercial offers;
- to work with vendors to schedule purchases, shipping and delivery periods;
- to prepare specifications, tenders and schedules, obtaining quotations, negotiating prices and placing orders and processing invoices. Before placing an order the Procurement Assistant carefully checks purchase orders for accuracy, completeness and clarity. The PRA must verify that product information, shipping information, cost and delivery dates are all correct before obtaining authorization to place an order;
- to ensure that price variations are communicated to the relevant parties as quickly as possible;
- to track the orders and ensure their delivery to consignee;
- to ensure that goods purchased are of a required specification in terms of quality, quantity and delivery; to evaluate and advise on those suppliers who fail to meet specifications;
- to ensure timely preparation of documentation for reporting on procurement activities;
- to assist in developing and implementation of the Joint Procurement Plan, identifying procurement related priorities;
- to keep regular contact with Project / Finance Offices informing on contract statuses, payments and submit the corresponding information;
- to ensure regular update of a database of contract documentation, terms of references, list of suppliers of goods and services;
- to assure proper filing of all procurement related documentation;
- to conduct annual inventory, prepare inventory listings;
- to perform other duties and responsibilities as required.
The PRA works under the authority of the Chief Procurement Officer.
The PRA needs to have a higher education (in Economics, Management, Finance/Accounting, Business Administration or equivalent disciplines) and 3 to 4 years of progressively responsible experience in procurement / contracting. Supplemental education or training in accounting, legislation, etc. is highly appreciated. Experience in project management and work with ISTC or other similar international organization is an asset.
The PRA needs to be detail-oriented, well organized, has an ability to carry out multiple tasks simultaneously to meet goals and deadlines and be able to work independently.
The PRA will work mainly in Central Asia and needs to have good communicative skills to deal with customs offices, brokers, Tax department and other governmental organizations.
Fluent English and Russian are prerequisites. The knowledge of the Kazakh language is an asset.
Advanced computer/ office skills (Word, Excel, MS Navision, Power Point, other) are needed for this position.
6. Other requirements
The PRA must be ready to travel inside the CIS and in particular in Central Asia and occasionally in the Caucasus.
Ability and comfort in developing and maintaining working relationships with relevant government officials, vendors and departments as required by ISTC management would be considered an asset.
The PRA possesses driving license of category B.
References are preferable.
Place of work: Astana, Kazakhstan
Eligibility: Citizens of Republic of Kazakhstan
To apply please send your detailed CV (in English) and a cover letter, indicating your professional interest in the job, to Gulnora Yakubova at e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org before November 28, 2018.