Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute
Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute (AARI)
38 Bering Str., St. Petersburg, 199397, Russia,St Petersburg
- 2471 - Space Environmental Index
- Extraterrestrial Exploration / Space, Aircraft and Surface Transportation
- The State Scientific Centre of the Russian Federation the Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute belongs to the Federal Russian Department of hydrometeorology and environment monitoring. The Institute is the oldest research institution of Russia, that is doing the complex research of the Polar Earth regions.
The history of the Institute begins in 1920 when The North scientific-commercial expedition was organized. In 1925 the expedition was transformed into the Institute regarding the research of the North. In 1930 the Institute was named the Arctic Research Institute. In 1958 it became the coordinated centre on national research in Antarctica and therefore it was renamed into the Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute.
The AARI does the complex research in Arctic and Antarctic concerning the oceanography, the ice physics, the ocean and land water, the meteorology, the interaction between the ocean and the atmosphere, the geophysics, the sea-ice study, the glaciology, the polar geography, hydrochemistry, the hydrology of the river mouth and the water source, the ecology, the interaction between a hull and other engineering constructions with ice, the polar medicine.
- The AARI executes scientific and applied development, nature experiments aimed at:
- the complex development of fundamental science about processes taking place in the Arctic and Antarctic environment (the ice cover, the ocean, the land water, the river mouths, the atmosphere, the upper levels of atmosphere, the ionosphere) and the interaction between these environment;
- collecting the data, its analysis and distributing and informing about the changes in ecosystems taking place under the influence of the man impact, transboundary transport and climate changes;
- the development of new techniques for contact and distant parameter mesuarings of the researched environments;
- hydrometeorological, geophysical and ecological supplies (including strategical) of economical and defense activities of Russia in the polar regions, including the providing work on the Arctic shelf;
- planning and coordinating the complex scientific-research expeditions to Arctic and Antarctic with using scientific ships, aircrafts, polar stations;
- training the research high-qualified personnel.
The AARI has a high scientific, research, technique, information potential a high-qualified staff of specialists. The AARI activity is based on complex observations over the ice, the ocean, the atmosphere, the geophysical processes accumulating since 20 century. All the data are organized in automatic systems, including databases, models, calculating methods, state forecasts and changes of the environment and evaluation of the climate changes and ecological polar region state.